Open Lawsuit Against HOA

2 Replies

I bought my first rental condo a year ago and I am trying to do a cash-out refinance on my unit. However, the HOA has an open lawsuit against them due to a fire that took place in another building two years ago and a homeowner is suing the association for it. Therefore, traditional banks will not lend on this property or provide any refinancing options. I have been told by the property manager that "from a legal standpoint the only information that can be provided is that a fire took place, and there is an open claim for it." They have began making the repairs to the building but that's about as much information as I have been given from the HOA.

As an owner of one of the units, am I entitled to a copy of the lawsuit?

What are my options?

Is my only option to wait until the lawsuit is finalized before I can a) buy another unit in this property or b) refinance the one I already own?

Should I be looking for other methods of financing that don't involve traditional banks?

Sounds like you need to get a meeting set up with a real estate attorney. I believe you are a member of the HOA so if someone is suing the HOA they are kind of indirectly suing you (but that is my 100% shot in the dark assumption).

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here