Who do you hire to take care of a property remotely?

10 Replies

I live in Ohio, but Buying a property in victoria Texas that I plan to sell with seller financing. Who can I hire to hold the keys when current tenant moves out, let contractors in for any repairs, and show the property to prospective buyers? Thanks in advance!

@Austin Wood

All of those responsibilities are taken care of by a property manager. Not all property managers are created equal, so make sure to interview and vet them very thoroughly. A bad PM will sink your asset

@Austin Wood  That just depends on how much the Realtor/Property manager values their time. I would probably charge you 3% of the purchase price. I consider myself the Cadillac of Realtors though haha. You can probably find a novice Realtor to help you out for a few hundred bucks. Just be careful who you trust your assets with.

Hello @Austin Wood , as a property manager, I try to not have to go out just to let vendors in the property.  My time is too expensive for that.  However, there are some options.  My recommendation here would be to have internet installed in the property for $45 per month, and then set up several cheap WiFI cameras in various or all rooms of the property.  Finally, get a remote showing service such as Rently, etc. then you can allow access to vendors or prospective tenants and monitor the property at the same time for a reasonable fee.  Alternatively, I would still do the WiFi setup with cameras, and install a smart WiFi lock you can give temporary codes to vendors, but hire a local manager to only find a tenant for you.  We would charge half of one months rent, and a reasonable fee per showing, like $25 each.  If you have good pre-screening set up in advance, there should not be a lot of showings to "tire kickers".  Some hybrid of these options may at least give you some decent options that should not cost you too much.  Best of luck.  

@Austin Wood look at www.erentallock.com.The locks do not require wifi and you can still generate time-sensitive codes.

For showings it seems like the best bet is to see if any property managers offer a la carte services and would do it. I am in the same situation with one of my properties and don't have a great answer yet.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here