Newbie Out of state investing in Ohio

10 Replies

Hi Everyone, I'm just starting out and recently signed up for bigger pockets pro.  I am looking to connect with people who are doing out of state investing.  I have been analyzing a lot of different areas in Cincinnati, Cleveland and Columbus.  Its hard to see what areas have potential and not in war zones. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks 

In Cincinnati, I have been following areas that are adjacent to Hyde Park.   I think of "path of progress" from Mount Adams to Hyde Park to Blue Ash, along Montgomery Road. Specifically:

• East Walnut Hills
  • Evanston
  • Norwood
  • Pleasant Ridge
  • Amberley
  • Deek Park
  • Kennedy Heights

I'm not yet convinced on Walnut Hills proper (west of Victory Parkway), not yet convinced on Avondale. 

The City Planning office is a good resource to see where politicians want to deploy funds (no gaurantees on follow-thru or outcomes however)

https://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/planning/

As somebody who works, lives and invests in Cincinnati, I would agree with @Scott Starrett

To add one more area based on it being backed by a solid school district - Fairfax (in the Mariemont School District). It is a solid option/stepping stone for younger families to get their foot in the door of one of the best school districts. 

@Gregg Nagano These 3 cities are a great place for out-of-state investors to invest in. Each market has its own pros and cons. I am biased towards Columbus since I live, invest, and work here. I believe some of our pros are the job and population growth. One of our cons is the high demand for REI in Columbus. Everyone wants to invest in Columbus because of our solid demographics. This can sometimes discourage out-of-state investors looking for a "deal." It is much easier to find a cash flowing property in Cleveland or Cincinnati because of the lesser demand.

@Gregg Nagano I agree with @Remington Lyman . I have a solid portfolio in Columbus and when I was buying I looked to invest in areas that have a lot going on. For example, campus rentals near Ohio State as it is one of the largest universities in the country and only continues to expand (education is not going anywhere). South of downtown Columbus, because Nationwide Children’s Hospital is pumping tens of millions of dollars every year revamping the area (again, not going anywhere). I’m finding it hard to miss in Columbus right now (aside from the war zone-type areas you mentioned) especially when companies like Google and Facebook are putting down roots here, and when Amazon’s HQ2 gave Columbus a legitimate look. It’s also promising to see Columbus offering a lot of incentives to companies looking to enter this market. Columbus is serious about growth and it is showing. There is a lot of opportunity. Let me know if you have questions about a market like this. Happy to help! Good luck!

Originally posted by @Gregg Nagano :

Hi Everyone, I'm just starting out and recently signed up for bigger pockets pro.  I am looking to connect with people who are doing out of state investing.  I have been analyzing a lot of different areas in Cincinnati, Cleveland and Columbus.  Its hard to see what areas have potential and not in war zones. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks 

For Cleveland you'll want to check out The Ultimate Guide to Grading Cleveland Neighborhoods. It should be exactly what you're looking for in regards to that market. I am also going to have a similar guide published for Cincinnati in 2020 so you may want to check back at that time to check that out.

I am an investor and an agent that helps out of state investors that want to invest in Kansas City. I start by narrowing down the areas around Kansas City. 20-30 miles. Then we break it down by school districts. Then by zip code. 

@Brent Kremer Fairfax has always been a sleeper for sure; I grew up in Terrace Park which is also in the Mariemont school district. For those not familiar with Cincinnati, when you meet someone from Cincinnati in other parts of the country, the first thing that they typically ask is ‘where did you go to school?’. Schools districts are extremely important in Cincinnati, and should be near the top of the list for investing

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here