Marketing to LGBTQ community

64 Replies

Why? From my point of view, your best case scenario is a smaller selling pool, with worst case scenario being a lawsuit for discrimination.

I imagine the LGBTQ community, when they wanna buy a house, will hire a realtor who will use MLS to find them a house. Just list it on the MLS.

Sure. Everyone uses the MLS. When one sells anything one considers who might consider that thing to buy. This is a property that will be attractive to certain mindsets. Among those with that mindset could be those in the LGBTQ community. Plus, that is a demographic often discriminated against so I would like to advertise to them. Of course, everyone's money needs to be green.

Any other ideas?

@Susan Wilhite I would be interested to know what makes the property attractive to 'certain mindset'? I feel like you could be walking a fine line because marketing to LGBTQ can actually look like discrimination from the outside, even if your intent is the opposite. 

Originally posted by @Susan Wilhite :

Sure. Everyone uses the MLS. When one sells anything one considers who might consider that thing to buy. This is a property that will be attractive to certain mindsets. Among those with that mindset could be those in the LGBTQ community. Plus, that is a demographic often discriminated against so I would like to advertise to them. Of course, everyone's money needs to be green.

Any other ideas?

If you're specifically targeting the LGBTQ community in your market you can do targeted Facebook, Google or Youtube ads to make sure the folks living in your area who are part of that group are hit with your ads.

Certain characteristics of the property are, in my observation, attractive to certain mindsets. Many LGBTQ people seem to appreciate those characteristics. Just like families with young children seem to prefer the characteristic of homes on quieter streets. 

What I gather here is that it's risky to openly target-market to protected-class minorities. If so, I appreciate the heads-up.

Originally posted by @Susan Wilhite :

Thanks, James. Excellent idea.

No problem. Also as a side note if you aren't a licensed Realtor I believe you have some fair housing leeway. I know that non licensed landlords who own 4 or less properties don't have to adhere to fair housing guidelines at all. So you may not have anything to worry about.

My question is WHY?

Yes, there may be qualities in your property that could be attractive to that demographic…… So…. Advertise those qualities!

Those who are interested (be it LGBTQ or otherwise) will buy what you are selling if they find it appealing.

I just don’t see a point of targeting LGBTQ specifically when properly marketing those features will get the job done. (I am also interested to know what it is about your property that in your mind is attractive to LGBTQ)

This post has been removed.

I am not an attorney but this could be a violation of fair housing if you list it and target LGBTQ due to the fact you are marketing to a certain community, thus, people of the non LGBTQ community could feel Discriminated against....

Originally posted by @James Wise :
Originally posted by @Susan Wilhite:

Thanks, James. Excellent idea.

No problem. Also as a side note if you aren't a licensed Realtor I believe you have some fair housing leeway. I know that non licensed landlords who own 4 or less properties don't have to adhere to fair housing guidelines at all. So you may not have anything to worry about.

Obviously you haven't read up on California laws. They think differently there. ;-)

Who are the local leaders of that community? I would approach those folks and just start getting the word out. Maybe offer a finders fee?   Also, advertising by highlighting the features might be helpful  

Good luck :)

@Renee Sied this **** cracked me up.

But honestly, without any bias here I would be curious as to why this would be good for the LGBTQ community? And secondly, why market to them?

If you are just wanting to help them out I understand where you are coming from. Just know this will make selling the house a lot harder. I think you are limiting yourself, but maybe think about what social forums LGBTQ community is commonly on & make a post about it there...

Try going to events & network with people on what is really popular within the community and try an AD there.

You do have to be careful not to be involved with discrimination & I would suggest talking to a lawyer about what you are trying to do so you can make the most of this legally.

Good luck to you & lmk what you end up doing!

I can see what you're saying Only if the town is known for the gay community. Is your property in a high end area?

Not quiet areas where gay families live - Christopher Street in NYC or the east coast gay resort of Provincetown, MA.

What these two notable places have in common is its Very Expensive but Forbes says that gay couples make more $$ than hetero couples.  You may have a Niche if you're in the gay community!

I’m kinda mind-blown by this post. If you had a property you were selling in Chinatown or Little Italy in NYC, would you drop flyers at Chinese restaurants and pizza places?

Put it on the mls, and people who are looking in a certain area will find it.

I think the good advice has been said in here, and that being that posting it on the MLS is best, and will be found by the apparent right clientel. Don't reinvent the wheel. Don't potentially set yourself up for discrimination. Also, it feels slightly like virtue signaling. In the end, if you have a great house, you just want to sell it for the best price to whoever has the money and follow-through.

So I am willing to play devils advocate here for a minute.... i built and then marketed a equine property. When i wanted to sell, i advertised it on the MLS and equestrian related magazines, websites, etc.

i dont see anything discriminatory about marketing to the folks who will most likely purchase the property. 

If you discriminate (ie refuse to show it to those not in that community) sure, that is a nono. But just advertising? You folks really think that is discrimination?

@Mary Mitchell When you specifically call out a certain group, yeah, it can be seen as discriminatory. Just like you can't advertise to families with no kids or things of that nature. If she wants to advertise it to the LGBT group without actually using any defining words like that, then I guess she'd just post up flyers in places they go to. But if this property apparently has features that they want, they will find it because they know how to look for property...just like any other person shopping for property.

I can only imagine the unique features of this property means the property is in a known LGBT neighborhood. They're still human and want things like nice kitchens so I really can't figure out what other features would be so unique to them. 

Trying to be so inclusive that you end up treating them like they're *not* just another "normal" (what is normal really) human-being is odd and the opposite of being inclusive.

@Susan Wilhite most LGBTQ people I know want to be treated like everyone else. Read the definition of discrimination and think about what you are proposing.

Discrimination
Treatment or consideration based on class or category, such as race or gender, rather than individual merit; partiality or prejudice.

What do LGBTQ people want? They want people to stop singling them out and treating them differently. They want to be accepted for who they are. Who are they? Mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, teachers, fireman, police officers, actors, realtors, investors, you name it... They are just people like you and me. 

Diversity is a community that is inclusive of everyone, not segregated.

Facebook allows targeted ads based on demographics, but it is not allow when it comes to housing. Facebook was sued by HUD earlier this year over their practices of targeting people by gender, age and race.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/03/28/hud-charges-facebook-with-housing-discrimination/

I am assuming you have good intentions. I just encourage you to rethink the best approach.

If it is location (close to a popular bar catering to a particular group) the address should tell them or a specific description of the area  e.g. two blocks from..... downtown, x  beach, or whatever attraction there is. If it is a feature just include it in the ad.  There are already suggestions about where to place ads. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here