“OK Boomer, who’s going to buy your 21 million homes?”

7 Replies

https://apple.news/AX7CP7hklRjORcDx7-Osy6w

This is an interesting article from the Wall Street Journal about the 21 million boomers who will be selling their homes over the next 20 years. They will be selling because they moved to assisted living, moved in with their kids or just died. It should affect AZ & FL the most but there will be ripple effects elsewhere. Check it out and share your thoughts.

@Scott Berry   There will be others to buy the homes.  You have people who have vacation homes that are only occupied for a few months a year, vacation rentals, and many people living on their own meaning you need more houses despite the fact that the population may be stable.

It's definitely something to think about when investing in those areas.  It's already happening slowly in my area.  Nothing too crazy just a house every few months.  In some cases the kids moved into the houses and kept it.

Originally posted by @Theresa Harris :

@Scott Berry   There will be others to buy the homes.  You have people who have vacation homes that are only occupied for a few months a year, vacation rentals, and many people living on their own meaning you need more houses despite the fact that the population may be stable.

I wouldn't worry too much. Most of those communities are 55+ age required. They will have to open up so all ages can buy in. And keep in mind, it's over a 20 year span. I'd be more concerned if I was a Millennial who bought into the nonsense of going into debt for a worthless diploma. It shows how gullible (not trying to be mean here) people can be when listening to academics who have never done anything other than teach. Teachers and Professors are not in the real world. In the real world, people who aren't saddled with debt can buy homes. And some of those homes are the aforementioned ones. And yes, I have two degrees. 

I think long term other people will fill the houses as boomers leave them. Except older 55+ communities. Theres a few cities In my state that have a ton of 55+ and the communities  are all close to 40-50 years old and things are starting to break. Also usually when people want to retire here they seem to want a new house. They really should remove the age restrictions  because there are tons of vacant units. 

Thanks for your comments everyone. When I read the article, it gave pause for a moment. But as several of you noted, this is going to be a growing swell and not a tidal wave. I think it will open more opportunities for investors. Open markets are pretty efficient and the”problem” will resolve itself.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Probably all the people who are wanting to buy a home now but can’t because there is no inventory. A lot of them will make great str, some will need repaired and will be flipped, some the family will keep, others will be sold just like has happened in previous generations.