Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Zeeshan Mallick
  • Investor
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
What happens if rental property value goes down?

Zeeshan Mallick
  • Investor
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Posted Dec 12 2019, 13:12

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on BP, as I just made my account a few moments ago, so please excuse me if my forum post is not formatted correctly.

I am looking to buy my first rental property around July 2020, however I am a bit reluctant because there is one scenario that kind of scares me.

Let's say I buy a rental house for $275,000 in July 2020.

3 years go by and as I am paying principal and gain equity on the house, I have accumulated, say, $30,000 equity on the house (sorry if this is not a realistic number, just for sake of example)

But let's say that the housing market crashes or takes a dip from 2020-2023 and the value of this rental home dropped in this time period from $275,000 to $195,000.

What exactly would happen to my equity in the property because of the drop in market value of the house? Also, would I still be paying a mortgage worth $275,000 if I did a 30-year-fixed mortgage back in 2020? Is this a realistic scenario, and would it even effect me negatively if at the end of the day if I am simply just trying to cashflow each month from a rental?

I know it is seen as trivial to try and time the housing market, but a scenario like this kind of scares me because I am young and inexperienced. But my question is, is this even realistic, and if it is, would it even effect me if I am just trying to cashflow off rent each month?

Sorry in advance for my ignorance on the subject and thanks in advance for guidance and consideration.

Loading replies...