Not seeing the 1% rule with Turnkeys in Birmingham Al

9 Replies

I am looking at SFR turnkey properties in Birmingham, Al area. All the properties being offered are closer to .08% for monthly rental.

Just wondering if I should look elsewhere. I need turnkey for a 1031 exchange, then go from there. Also, good property management is important.

Thanks for listening

This post has been removed.

There are multiple areas of Birmingham where you can do  1%  or better.   I have an owner who is selling a house in Tarrant that will get you significantly better than one.  The municipality of Tarrant is difficult to work with from a management point of view but that is factored in. 

Originally posted by @James Runkle :

I am looking at SFR turnkey properties in Birmingham, Al area. All the properties being offered are closer to .08% for monthly rental.

Just wondering if I should look elsewhere. I need turnkey for a 1031 exchange, then go from there. Also, good property management is important.

Thanks for listening

If you're looking to exceed the 1% rule in B-Ham perhaps you need to move down an asset class level. You may be looking at B grade properties. Check out some C grade properties. For more info on the differences and risks associated with going down a level you'll want to check out The Ultimate Guide to Grading Birmingham Alabama Neighborhoods

Look at Hueytown/McCalla. That’s were the jobs are and demand for homes. Amazon distribution centre along with spin off manufacturing jobs from Mercedes 40 miles down the road. Not Bessemer. Neighbourhood range from A to B- with rent from 850 to 1400 for newer homes. Good luck. 

@James Runkle I wouldn't focus so much on the 1% rule as much as I would cash on cash ROI. AL has such low taxes in many places that you can have very high returns & cash flow with less than a 1% rule. In other locations where taxes and insurance are much higher, you could easily have a home that is way above the 1% rule, but it's negative cash flow or even break even. My point is there is so much more to consider than simply the 1% rule. Hope this helps!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here