Not seeing the 1% rule with Turnkeys in Birmingham Al

Not seeing the 1% rule with Turnkeys in Birmingham Al

Rental Property Investor · Crestline, CA · Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 11 votes

I am looking at SFR turnkey properties in Birmingham, Al area. All the properties being offered are closer to .08% for monthly rental.

Just wondering if I should look elsewhere. I need turnkey for a 1031 exchange, then go from there. Also, good property management is important.

Thanks for listening

1Reply
46 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
6y
Originally posted by @James Runkle:

I am looking at SFR turnkey properties in Birmingham, Al area. All the properties being offered are closer to .08% for monthly rental.

Just wondering if I should look elsewhere. I need turnkey for a 1031 exchange, then go from there. Also, good property management is important.

Thanks for listening

If you're looking to exceed the 1% rule in B-Ham perhaps you need to move down an asset class level. You may be looking at B grade properties. Check out some C grade properties. For more info on the differences and risks associated with going down a level you'll want to check out The Ultimate Guide to Grading Birmingham Alabama Neighborhoods

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    There are multiple areas of Birmingham where you can do  1%  or better.   I have an owner who is selling a house in Tarrant that will get you significantly better than one.  The municipality of Tarrant is difficult to work with from a management point of view but that is factored in. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Crestline, CA · Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    Hey Jay Hinrichs

    What does turnkey light mean?

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @James Runkle:

    I am looking at SFR turnkey properties in Birmingham, Al area. All the properties being offered are closer to .08% for monthly rental.

    Just wondering if I should look elsewhere. I need turnkey for a 1031 exchange, then go from there. Also, good property management is important.

    Thanks for listening

    If you're looking to exceed the 1% rule in B-Ham perhaps you need to move down an asset class level. You may be looking at B grade properties. Check out some C grade properties. For more info on the differences and risks associated with going down a level you'll want to check out The Ultimate Guide to Grading Birmingham Alabama Neighborhoods

  • Investor · Columbus, GA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    The 1% rule only applies to certain price points. It is not what I would use as an indicator of a good investment. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Crestline, CA · Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    Thanks.

    I am looking at B neighborhoods. Appreciate the input!

  • Investor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2016 · 315 posts · 206 votes
    6y

    Look at Hueytown/McCalla. That’s were the jobs are and demand for homes. Amazon distribution centre along with spin off manufacturing jobs from Mercedes 40 miles down the road. Not Bessemer. Neighbourhood range from A to B- with rent from 850 to 1400 for newer homes. Good luck. 

  • Bismarck, ND · Member since 2017 · 56 posts · 201 votes
    6y

    @James Runkle I wouldn't focus so much on the 1% rule as much as I would cash on cash ROI. AL has such low taxes in many places that you can have very high returns & cash flow with less than a 1% rule. In other locations where taxes and insurance are much higher, you could easily have a home that is way above the 1% rule, but it's negative cash flow or even break even. My point is there is so much more to consider than simply the 1% rule. Hope this helps!

  • Rental Property Investor · Crestline, CA · Member since 2019 · 38 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    Riley Thanks. Trying to learn as much as possible, as quickly as I can.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.