Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Boogren
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Hastings, MN
Votes |
Risks to Getting my License if Goal is to Buy Investment Prop?

Brandon Boogren
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Hastings, MN
Posted Jan 8 2020, 15:24

QUESTION: I just completed all my schooling and testing for becoming a real estate agent (~$1,200 in MN passing all the tests in the first try). I started reaching out to brokers this week to see which one would be best for me. My main and most important goal (like many of you), is to purchase rental/investment properties of my own. Last night, I met with a broker that has been in the Real Estate space over 40 years. He explained that it would be better for me to not officially get my license as it creates an "unfair advantage" legally and can put me at risk when purchasing properties from sellers (Ex. If I buy a property for $200k that is valued at $250k the seller could come back and say the deal wasn't fair as I had more knowledge as an agent). I thought it would be fine to do such a deal if I just disclosed I was an agent, but this broker explained that wasn't the case. He also said there can be conflicts of interest if I am looking for the same properties my potential clients are. Does anyone have any advice for me? My main goal is to build an investment portfolio. Am I better off taking the knowledge I learned and NOT getting my license or should I get my license and run with these risks? Are these risks he explained real? I would plan on being a part-time Minnesota agent if I do end up getting my license. Thanks!

Loading replies...