cash-out refi --> BRRRR --> delayed financing... A problem?

cash-out refi --> BRRRR --> delayed financing... A problem?

Rental Property Investor · NJ and PA · Member since 2019 · 206 posts · 105 votes

I have pulled capital out of my existing properties to fund new deals. I have enough to cover cash purchase + rehab for a typical deal, and plan to recycle the funds for multiple deals. My objective it to BRRRR with cash up front and then to get a loan immediately after rehabbing and getting a tenant, to then proceed with the next property.

The "delayed financing" rule allows you to avoid the usual 6-month seasoning period before doing the cash-out loan. But here's the rub: It seems if the purchase was funded with assets drawn from equity on another property, the proceeds from the new loan must be used to repay the original loan. That defeats the purpose! Have you dealt with this?

A couple of twists here... 

1. My funds are coming from two places: a HELOC on one property and a refi that's about to close from another. It seems to me, since the HELOC is a revolving credit line, I could pay it back and still have immediate access to the credit. Am I missing anything here? I wonder if I should put the brakes on my refi and do an additional HELOC instead?

2. Another possibility is to borrow from a private or hard money lender to make the purchase, and then use my equity funds to pay back whatever isn't covered by the new mortgage.

Opinions or advice?

Also... The last two Rs of BRRRR are Refi + Repeat. Doesn't this restriction make that nearly impossible without a 6-month wait?

1Reply
119 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · DFW · Member since 2017 · 143 posts · 120 votes
6y

@Gary Parilis,

The delayed financing exception is what allows you to skip the 6-month seasoning period, and it requires that your purchase money isn't secured by the subject property. So, you can absolutely use an existing HELOC as your source since it's secured by a different property that you already own. And yes, the Refi lender will probably want to send money directly to the HELOC to pay it back.

Don't use private or hard money for long-term financing (not sure if this is what you were suggesting).  You could potentially use private money or hard money for the purchase and then Refi with a traditional lender using the exception, as long as the private/hard source funds aren't secured by the subject property.

Another potential downside for the delayed financing exception is that you can only Refi what you paid for the property. Meaning, if you used a HELOC to fund both the purchase & rehab, when you Refi, it'll only cover the purchase, but the Rehab amount will still be outstanding. This also forces you to park extra equity in the property, which you may or may not be comfortable with.

If you want to Refi and get both purchase & rehab costs back, plus squeeze out some the added value, you'll have to wait 6 mo's.

You can definitely use the exception with BRRRR, as long as you're willing to keep a little more equity in each property. On the other hand, if you're an investor who wants to have max leverage on every property, the exception will work against you.

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · DFW · Member since 2017 · 143 posts · 120 votes
    6y

    @Gary Parilis,

    The delayed financing exception is what allows you to skip the 6-month seasoning period, and it requires that your purchase money isn't secured by the subject property. So, you can absolutely use an existing HELOC as your source since it's secured by a different property that you already own. And yes, the Refi lender will probably want to send money directly to the HELOC to pay it back.

    Don't use private or hard money for long-term financing (not sure if this is what you were suggesting).  You could potentially use private money or hard money for the purchase and then Refi with a traditional lender using the exception, as long as the private/hard source funds aren't secured by the subject property.

    Another potential downside for the delayed financing exception is that you can only Refi what you paid for the property. Meaning, if you used a HELOC to fund both the purchase & rehab, when you Refi, it'll only cover the purchase, but the Rehab amount will still be outstanding. This also forces you to park extra equity in the property, which you may or may not be comfortable with.

    If you want to Refi and get both purchase & rehab costs back, plus squeeze out some the added value, you'll have to wait 6 mo's.

    You can definitely use the exception with BRRRR, as long as you're willing to keep a little more equity in each property. On the other hand, if you're an investor who wants to have max leverage on every property, the exception will work against you.

  • Rental Property Investor · NJ and PA · Member since 2019 · 206 posts · 105 votes
    6y

    @Brit F. Thank you. Yes, I understand it is an exception to the 6-month seasoning requirement. And, yeah, I know it means I cannot borrow more than the purchase price. That makes it a poor solution for a BRRRR with extensive rehab. But otherwise, it's a big help, allowing me to do more BRRRRs per year.

    About the HELOC... Is the following correct if I use the HELOC to buy the property initially?

    1. When I get a loan soon after the purchase & rehab, the bank will probably want (or need) to send the funds directly to the HELOC, and...

    2. No big deal, because it's a revolving line of credit, so I still have access the same funds.

    If #2 is true, this restriction is no problem for me at all. And it also means I perhaps should not go though the refi I'm schedule to close this week, and get another HELOC instead.

    What I meant about a personal loan or hard money was that I could use that on a short term basis to purchase the property, and then pay it back after doing the rehab and getting my mortgage. If I don't get all the cash out, I would use the funds I'd pulled out of my other properties to pay back the balance of that short term loan. That way, I can use the delayed financing exception and the purchase wasn't funded with capital from another property's equity. Is that legitimate?

  • Rental Property Investor · DFW · Member since 2017 · 143 posts · 120 votes
    6y

    @Gary Parilis,

    Yes, you're correct on #1 & #2. As far as doing another HELOC vs the Refi, if you're thinking of doing a HELOC on an investment property, it's possible, but sometimes difficult to find a willing lender. If/when you find one, hang on to them like they are your best friend. Lots of threads on BP about HELOCs on investment property. In contrast, if you're talking about a HELOC on a primary or secondary home, go for it.

    And yes, you're correct, on the private/hard money usage with the exception.  But, by the same logic, you could use the cheaper option of a regular cash-out Refi from another property in the same way.  The downside is that it'll take longer to close the traditional Refi, and the loan terms won't be as flexible as private/hard money.  Point being: based on the high cost of private/hard money, just make sure you've exhausted all other options first.

  • Investor · Durham NC (and Brenham, TX) · Member since 2018 · 301 posts · 197 votes
    6y

    Thanks for your post, @Gary Parilis! Using HELOC funds + delayed financing for BRRRRs is a strategy I'm hoping to use so it's helpful to get some clarification on the nuances.

    I wanted to add that from what I hear, lots of folks have had success doing the full BRRRR with the delayed financing exception by including the rehab costs on the closing statement. Alex Felice in particular wrote a detailed blog post (https://www.biggerpockets.com/…) and spoke about it on episode 301 of the BP podcast - worth checking out!

    You might also be interested in this post about another creative way to get around the seasoning requirements: https://www.biggerpockets.com/…

  • Rental Property Investor · NJ and PA · Member since 2019 · 206 posts · 105 votes
    6y

    @Brit F. My existing HELOC is from an investment property. I used Fulton Bank. I also spoke with TD Bank and they can do that also.

    I'm confused about your last paragraph, about using a cash-out refi instead of private/hard money. My point about that was to avoid using a cash-out refi, which would have to be paid back from the new loan. Can you elaborate?

    Thanks for your thoughtful responses!

  • Rental Property Investor · NJ and PA · Member since 2019 · 206 posts · 105 votes
    6y

    @Annchen Knodt Thank you! I will check those resources out!

  • Rental Property Investor · NJ and PA · Member since 2019 · 206 posts · 105 votes
    6y

    Seeking confirmation, urgently:

    Because I am days away from closing on my refi, I need to decide right away whether to stop that train, in order to go for another HELOC instead. Has anyone actually purchased with HELOC funds and obtained a mortgage soon after, using the delayed financing exception? And if so, can you confirm that mortgage lender paid directly to the HELOC, then you still had full access to the HELOC with no consequences?

    I want to be certain there are no snags I'm not considering, partly because my lender for the refi has been terrific (not my first loan with him) and I don't want to back out unless I really need to... Which appears to be the case.

  • Rental Property Investor · DFW · Member since 2017 · 143 posts · 120 votes
    6y


    Originally posted by @Gary Parilis:

    I'm confused about your last paragraph, about using a cash-out refi instead of private/hard money. My point about that was to avoid using a cash-out refi, which would have to be paid back from the new loan. Can you elaborate?

    Sure thing, I only mean to suggest that you could pay back a 30-yr mortgage early, just like how you expect to pay back a short-term private/hard money loan asap.  Most people don't because we think of 30-yr loans as permanent financing, but you could pay it back anytime (typically without a prepayment penalty).  In this way, you'd be using a 30-yr mortgage like a hard money loan.  Whether or not it makes sense depends on the cost of financing and terms for each.  It's an unusual application of a 30-yr mortgage, for sure.

    To your other question:

    "Has anyone actually purchased with HELOC funds and obtained a mortgage soon after, using the delayed financing
    exception? And if so, can you confirm that mortgage lender paid directly to the HELOC, then you still had full access to the HELOC with no consequences?"

    Yes, I've done it.  My Refi lender wrote a paper check directly to my HELOC bank, which I hand delivered to them and they applied it to my balance.  I used the HELOC again a short while later.

  • Rental Property Investor · NJ and PA · Member since 2019 · 206 posts · 105 votes
    6y

    @Brit F. Thanks! A disadvantage to using a mortgage the way you describe is the closing costs, which need to be compared to the cost of hard or private money. Also, you lose the negotiation advantage of a cash offer. Additionally, a lot of BRRRRs would be purchased below the minimum amount for a mortgage.

  • Rental Property Investor · DFW · Member since 2017 · 143 posts · 120 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Gary Parilis:

    @Brit F. Thanks! A disadvantage to using a mortgage the way you describe is the closing costs, which need to be compared to the cost of hard or private money. Also, you lose the negotiation advantage of a cash offer. Additionally, a lot of BRRRRs would be purchased below the minimum amount for a mortgage.

    Sorry for not being clear...I'm referring to CO-refi or HML secured with property you already own, so that you can use the delayed financing exception. For example:

    • You own Property A and do a CO-refi
    • Use proceeds to buy Property B as cash buyer and do a CO-Refi on Property B with the exception.  Use proceeds of Property B to pay back Property A's loan
    • Property B still has a loan
    • When you're ready to buy Property C, do another CO-refi on Property A

    In the example above, you could replace 'CO-refi' with 'HML' on Property A, and it works the same way. Agree you'd have to compare total cost of things to see which one makes sense in your situation.

    All that said, since you have a willing lender for HELOC's on investment property, that's probably a better way to go to meet your short term financing needs.

  • Corby GoadeBusiness Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    I've done exactly what you are describing a few times. Cash purchase using a HELOC and cashing out soon after using Delayed Financing. Honestly, the restrictions related to the refi are so restrictive, I've regretted having done it.

    You'll get lower LTV and can't roll rehab costs in to your new loan, it makes the cash out too lean, especially in an appreciating market. Unless you have an immediate need to get that money back, I'd wait the six months.

    You could do a couple deals a year that way, which more most people, is enough to keep them busy. 

    Best of luck!

  • Bangor ME & Richmond, VA · Member since 2018 · 166 posts · 106 votes
    6y

    @Gary Parilis

    I'm not an expert on this but I don't see why you would have to pay back the cash out refi that you are doing with Bank A on the Property A you own already. Once you have the cash out it is your cash there are no conditions on it from Bank A, it's just cash. You then use cash to buy Property B with cash and fix it up. Then you refinance Property B with Bank B. Why does Bank B care about what you then do with that refinance? They will probably make you pay back the HELOC if it's needed for the debt to income but I am not sure why they would require you to pay back money into Bank A.

    I’ve never done a delayed finance deal but I’ve read up on it and done a couple BRRRRs with cash out refinances. Never heard of this issue you are presenting with Bank B making you pay back Bank A.

    I think maybe there is some confusion regarding if you were to also include Hard Money Lender A. I think if you bought Property B with Hard Money A, then refinanced with Bank B on Property B, Bank B would make you pay back Hard Money Lender A. But I still don’t see how the cash out refinance on Property A with Bank A would be involved at all.

    Eddie

  • Rental Property Investor · NJ and PA · Member since 2019 · 206 posts · 105 votes
    6y

    @Eddie Gonnella

    https://mymortgageinsider.com/...

    "Keep this in mind: a buyer must use proceeds from the new cash-out loan to pay off or pay down the HELOC or other loan used to buy the home."

  • Shiloh LundahlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    @Gary Parilis this is what I do. I purchase the home with a hard money lender and I include the rehab costs into the purchase as a credit on month sided of the HUD or Alta or settlement statement. For example. If I buy a 60k house that should have a value of 100k, then I put into the closing an additional 40k for rehab. The sale is then recorded at 100k. I use some of that 40k as rehab money, tenant the property, and then refinance it with a bank. The appraiser comes by and looks to see what it sold for and then appraised it at market value for 100k. The bank sees what it sold for and gives me a loan for 75% of market value. I may only have 75k into the property. Now of course I could have spent more on the rehab by putting in quartz countertops and golden plated toilets, but I decided that was overdoing it for the neighborhood so I went with basic materials rather than upgraded materials for the rehab.

    The end result is I have have been able to BRRRR the property without waiting the 6 month seasoning period.

  • Bangor ME & Richmond, VA · Member since 2018 · 166 posts · 106 votes
    6y

    @Gary Parilis

    That link didn’t take me anywhere useful.

    I’m understanding that sentence to mean something different than you are. From what I understand you are not using a loan on Property A with Bank A to buy the property. You are using cash that you have to buy it (doesn’t matter that the cash came from Property A). That sentence seems to me to refer to if you used a loan against Property B to buy Property B.

    Have you talked to a someone who does delayed financing refinances yet?

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Gary Parilis

    I've used private money for the purchase and rehab. I have a mortgage or deed of trust and a note with the my private lender. It's a cash deal. I have never had a seasoning issue with this strategy. If you buy foreclosures some of the banks have seasoning requirements 90 days I've seen the most. All funds feed through the title company. It works great on BRRRR and flips.

  • Rental Property Investor · NJ and PA · Member since 2019 · 206 posts · 105 votes
    6y

    @Eddie Gonnella Sorry the link didn't work for you. I have read in multiple places that when you use the delayed finance exception to get a loan on property B, you must document the source of the funds you used to make the purchase. If the source is equity from property A, you must use the new loan to pay back the property A loan.

    See discussion with @Brit F. above. Have I misunderstood something, Brit? 

  • Rental Property Investor · DFW · Member since 2017 · 143 posts · 120 votes
    6y

    @Eddie Gonnella,

    My understanding is that Gary is weighing the difference between using a CO-Refi/HML vs HELOC from a currently owned property, in order to appear as a cash buyer to acquire a new property. Following the BRRRR model, if Gary wants a conforming loan as permanent financing on the subject property, the lender must comply with the rules.

    The rules for conforming loans come from Fannie/Freddy.  Here's a link to Fannie's section B2-1.3-03, which covers CO-Refi's and the Exception.  To summarize:

    • If purchase money is secured by the subject property, you have to wait 6 mo's before a CO-Refi.  There's no way around it with a conforming loan.
    • The Exception that removes the 6-mo waiting period becomes an option when purchase money is documented cash, unsecured loan, or, in Gary's case, a loan secured by a property other than the subject property.
    • In either situation, if any existing loan is used as purchase money, then the CO-Refi proceeds of the new loan must be used to repay the existing loan.  This requirement is clearly specified by Fannie.

    If Gary wanted different rules for the permanent financing on the subject property, he'd have to find a lender who offers non-conforming loans (portfolio, private) with more underwriting flexibility, which will be higher priced to offset the risk.

  • Rental Property Investor · NJ and PA · Member since 2019 · 206 posts · 105 votes
    6y

    Thanks again,@Annchen Knodt and @Shiloh Lundahl!

    @Corby Goade, check out podcast #310. Listen to five minutes starting at exactly 20:00.

  • Lender · Member since 2019 · 86 posts · 30 votes
    6y

    Private Lenders can provide up to 80% Cash Out with a FICO over 700... no seasoning. For Fix & Flips 90% PP 100% Rehab - There are 100% financing options as well if you can secure a property under 65% LTV - You can also establish a LOC equal to 10x your liquidity up to $20M if you will be doing a lot of BRRR deals - PM me for options

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.