Votes
Joe Blakley
  • Idaho Falls, ID
Votes |
Buying Rentals in an Uncertain Market

Joe Blakley
  • Idaho Falls, ID
Posted Mar 21 2020, 10:40

Last week I pulled the plug on the purchase of a fourplex during inspection because the numbers weren't going to work out if the RE market dropped much and the property needed rehab the owner didn't want to deduct for.  (I dropped the offer substantially) Then I decided to wait a bit and watch the market a few months and "buy low" later. 

Fast forward to yesterday and a better deal just fell into my lap. Better looking numbers, nicer unit, lower purchase price, etc. But in a "C" town nearby for sure instead of "B". 

In my local market (Eastern Idaho) its tough to find 1% rental property most of the time, but this one actually meets the criteria. 

My only hesitation is tying up cash now on deals if the deals are going to look much better in the coming months /years with the economic uncertainty. If values drop and rents actually need to drop in the coming months this deal goes from great to bearable... 

I watch the forums and keep the pulse of the industry as well as I can. I see 3 schools of thought here:

1. Realtors of the group are still singing praises and telling everyone to buy. 

2. The savvy and well capitalized investors are starting to smell blood in the water and are waiting for the feeding frenzy. 

3. Many are in between, hoping to weather the storm and come out without losing everything they've worked hard to build. 

I'd love to see what the general consensus is. Where do you fit in these three categories and what are you doing right now in the current market? Would you take a good deal now or wait until it gets better. I realize some have nearly unlimited amounts of cash and will take every good deal that comes along, but for the rest of us who need to be careful about our purchases what are your thoughts?

Thanks! 

Loading replies...