First deal under contract! But appraisal came in low...

First deal under contract! But appraisal came in low...

Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 0 votes

Hey guys! I have property Under contract for $215,000. It’s a 5 bed 3 bath 2,050 sq ft home built in 1995. It’s a stand-alone home part of a gated community built in the 90’s. It’s on the same road as the high school and just 1 block from main-street. 
 Originally I thought it would appraise for 240-250k, but the appraisal just came back at $215,000. The appraiser used only comps within this community mixed with apartments, condos and townhomes that share a pool, tennis courts, all maintenance exterior and RV parking. I should have foreseen this with the fact that I won’t own the land. 
I have about $13,000 in credits with CC and my real estate commission. My all in monthly payments, including tax, insurance, HOA fees in about $1,100. Rent comps run $1,600-$1,900 (updated at $1,900). The cash flow will be good. But my equity won't be where I thought. Should I still buy it?
I am in the real estate for the long run. Buy and hold. 
I make about 84k as a career firefighter. And just got my real estate license and make about 5-7k a month for the past 6 months.
I am using a HELOC on my primary residence for the down payment. The HELOC payment is $108.
what do you guys think? 

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Hartsville, SC · Member since 2015 · 174 posts · 69 votes
6y

@Kole Halladay, Appraisers like to come in at value. It's a big game. The odds of it truly being worth exactly what you agreed to pay are very slim, but most of my deals are like that. They appraise magically at contract price or just slightly above. They really don't have anything to gain by saying it's worth more. Their job is to prove to the lender that it's worth the selling price, not more. They have no incentive to appraise it higher. 

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    6y
    ya i dot be very cautious of using a HELOC for down payments on long term holds.
    I get it for flips were you make some money and then retire the heloc.

    read fine print of heloc they can be frozen or called.. they are not fixed term loans.

    so just be aware of all aspects of using those funds for long term buys 
  • Buddlake, NJ · Member since 2017 · 76 posts · 21 votes
    6y

    @Kole Halladaygo back to your realtor and have him find new comps that work .or go back to the seller and get the price down .

  • Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Jay Hinrichs thanks! 
    I plan on using it temporarily, then paying it off over the next year or 2. But I will go back and read the fine print. Thank you!

  • Real Estate Broker · Hartsville, SC · Member since 2015 · 174 posts · 69 votes
    6y

    @Kole Halladay, Appraisers like to come in at value. It's a big game. The odds of it truly being worth exactly what you agreed to pay are very slim, but most of my deals are like that. They appraise magically at contract price or just slightly above. They really don't have anything to gain by saying it's worth more. Their job is to prove to the lender that it's worth the selling price, not more. They have no incentive to appraise it higher. 

  • Andre TaylorPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 219 posts · 180 votes
    6y

    You can dispute the appraisal report. I had to do that for one of my investment properties. Have your agent help you find some comps to support your value and provide that to your lender. There is always to make a deal work for you.

  • Columbia, SC · Member since 2014 · 133 posts · 190 votes
    6y

    @Kole Halladay what @Cameron Price said....its going to appraise for what you bought it for.

  • Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Adam Odom @Andre Taylor @Cameron Price

    Thank you all for your input. I think it’s best to continue with the purchase. I appreciate all the advice. I got the purchase price down to $211,000. 

  • Andre TaylorPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 219 posts · 180 votes
    6y

    Congrats @Kole Halladay !!!!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Navarre, FL · Member since 2019 · 913 posts · 640 votes
    6y

    @Kole Halladay Great job and welcome to BP!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.