Rental Property Investor · Wenonah, NJ · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 3 votes
Hi everyone,
I'm under contract for my first property, a duplex (as-is sale) located in Mantua, NJ. Closing is under 2 weeks and I failed the CO inspection. My biggest concern is this line:
"Deck stairway and the deck need to be certified by a structural Engineer Or Architect."
Now, the deck probably won't be able to get certification by an engineer or architect because it's not in good condition. I'm planning to repair/replace the deck immediately after I purchase the home, but I can't purchase the home until I pass the CO inspection. Catch 22.
I was thinking that I could obtain a temp. CO, but there is a tenant already living in the upstairs unit. Will I be able to obtain a TCO with a tenant in place already? Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do to close?? Should I and can I replace the deck before I own the home in hopes of getting to closing? I'd like to keep my original closing date of July 8th, but I can push it back if necessary.
Any suggestions and tips would be much appreciated!! Thanks everyone!
Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
6y
This is why you don't take on the burden of the CO on your first transaction. This isn't bad for what could come up. A temp CO would be tougher with a tenant if this deck is used by the tenant. If it is only attached to your unit where you will house hack, you may have a chance to get a temp. But if you look at what they said, it only has to be certified by a structural engineer, not fixed. It may need to be fixed, but you may be able to get them to certify their plans if it needs fixing and that should be good enough to close.