Investor · Elk Grove, CA · Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 12 votes
My mother wants me to buy her home rather than inherit it with my two sisters. Her home needs repair, the master bathroom shower needs to be redone down to the sheetrock, the kitchen needs to have the tile floor removed because several broken tiles cannot be replaced, the yard needs extensive landscaping, and the foundation on one corner of the house is split horizontally and shifting out causing cracks in the wall.
My mother owns the home free and clear. She wants to sell it to me at below market price, pay for the repairs herself and rent a room at market rent or above to be able to continue living there. I'm thinking of considering her offer, because once the repairs are done, I can refinance and pull equity out to purchase rental property.
Is this doable? What are the potential pitfalls? What should I look out for?
Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y
The biggest issue is taxes. If you inherit then you get a step up in basis which is an amazing thing. And you there are property tax benefits also I believe. If you buy it you loose the above... i suggest talking to CPA or tax attorney to find the best method to accomplish your goals
San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y
I'm in the middle of probate hell with my mother's estate. In my opinion, the biggest problem here would be any other heirs suing over her selling you the property and contesting the sale. Considering the state it's in, etc., along with the possibility of heirs suing you, I really don't think it's worth it. Either let her leave it to you, and even then it could be contested, or look somewhere else for an investment.
And then, just offer to take care of her. Odds are that's what she's really worried about - either having someone to take care of her or enough money to pay someone else to do so.
She could always just sell it on the open market, and then pay you or someone else to take care of her.
Investor · Elk Grove, CA · Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 12 votes
6y
The step basis is something to seriously consider. Before my dad passed away, my parents made sure to set up a Living Trust so nothing would have to go through Probate. Although I hadn't considered one of my sisters suing me over the house.