Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Prashant Chawla
Votes |
Investing in a 3500sqft single-family home for rental income?

Prashant Chawla
Posted

I have a home next door that is going on sale in a safe suburb of Columbus, Ohio. Prices in my neighborhood are roughly around 450,000 to 500,000 range, single-family, approx 3500-4000 sqft homes.

Pros:

1. Its next door, I know the owner for 6 years, very well kept home, the property is in front of my eyes if I rent someone. HOA doesn't have strict guidelines to not rent.

2. I can manage the property without a doubt because its literally like I am living there, proximity from my residence. It's across from my property.

3. Real-Estate is generally a safer investment compared to Stocks or any other "Virtual" asset with the market being so unstable. My current financial condition is decent to afford 2 mortgages. Interest rates are low.

4. If it doesn't rent, my parents are getting old if they do want to move next to me, if I have this house they could stay closer.

Cons:

1. What are the chances it can get rented? I have only seen 2-3 homes being rented in my neighborhood.

2. It's a large investment for potential rental as a single-family.

3. Real-Estate market prices could drop next year, a post-election year with COVID-19 still not gone. The overall market is unstable.

4. House is 7 years old instead of brand new. That means large maintenance items like Furnace have limited life if they weren't replaced yet.

Loading replies...