How to pay near cash for primary residence?

How to pay near cash for primary residence?

Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 2 votes

)I would like to be more competitive offers as I search for a primary residence property.  I have 60% (500k equity in my current primary residence, which I'll convert to a rental once I move out. I have another rental with 100% (800k) equity. 

I have been offering 20% down offers, but would like to offer all cash or a sizable down to be more competitive. Can I accomplish this with using HELOC or Home Equity debt products?


Target price is around $1.1M.

1Reply
14 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Chandler AZ and Sylvania, OH · Member since 2009 · 708 posts · 561 votes
    6y

    @Edwin Ro  are you looking to buy another primary?  If so you should offer less than 20%.  If I was to buy another primary I would offer a higher purchase price and 3% down or whatever the minimum is for a jumbo loan.  With the interest being so low, I wouldn't put in a nickle more than I had to.  I think the seller will be happier with a higher sale price than a cash offer.  When we sell, I'm fairly indifferent to cash or financing buyer as long as my price is met. I can wait the extra 25 days for financing to be approved.  A quick close does nothing for us, only reason I would accept cash is if I think the comps aren't going to support the asking price.  

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    You can get a Helco on your primary but I would not mention moving or converting to a rental when you do. You could finance your rental at 80% LTV if the numbers support it. Not sure how applying for loans concurrently will impact your financing.

  • Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 2 votes
    6y
    Thanks. I am looking to buy a primary and rent my current primary. I like the cash preservation idea due to low rates. 

    Originally posted by @Stone Jin:

    @Edwin Ro  are you looking to buy another primary?  If so you should offer less than 20%.  If I was to buy another primary I would offer a higher purchase price and 3% down or whatever the minimum is for a jumbo loan.  With the interest being so low, I wouldn't put in a nickle more than I had to.  I think the seller will be happier with a higher sale price than a cash offer.  When we sell, I'm fairly indifferent to cash or financing buyer as long as my price is met. I can wait the extra 25 days for financing to be approved.  A quick close does nothing for us, only reason I would accept cash is if I think the comps aren't going to support the asking price.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.