Investing Over a Million in a 1031 Exchange

Investing Over a Million in a 1031 Exchange

New to Real Estate · Orlando, FL · Member since 2020 · 18 posts · 5 votes

BP Community,

My family has received an offer to sell a real estate asset for well over one million ($1,000,000).  Whether the transaction goes through is not guaranteed, because the offer is contingent on the buyer sorting out some immigration hurdles.

Assuming the transaction goes through, my family has an enormous capital gains tax bill to pay.  We want to avoid that.

We are interested in purchasing numerous C+ to B+ single-family homes meeting, at least, the 1% rule.  Identifying numerous properties in such a short time frame and in the seller's market we are in is extremely challenging.  Because of the immigration hurdle, I am not sure how long we may have.  Once that clears, however, the transaction will happen promptly and we will be onto the races.

The property is in Florida and we would be interested in exploring Florida investments.  We are also open to considering investments in other areas, especially in the Southeast and Midwest, so long as an agent refers to us C+ to B+ properties meeting the 1% rule, makes a good case that they will appreciate in value, and refers us to other team members that we will need for an out of state investment (contractors, property managers, etc.).  

In all likelihood, we will be working with numerous agents throughout the U.S. to make this work.  Any leads are appreciated.

0Reply
51 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · SC NC, VA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 756 votes
5y

I'm going to go out on a limb here as you have $5MM in buying power and I'm going through a very like circumstance right now.

So long as the real estate asset was a rental property you can purchase rentals - any kind of rentals. You may want to look at commercial strip malls with solid national anchors (Dominos, Verizon, Subway, etc) or NNN single-tenant properties (Walgreens, Dollar Stores, etc...). In both cases, you're not dealing with one-year leases and in the case of the NNN you don't even pay the bills (taxes, insurance, none of it).

I target 7%+ caps, long leases (+10 years), and 12% ROE.

See this reply in the discussion

23 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · SC NC, VA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 756 votes
    5y

    I'm going to go out on a limb here as you have $5MM in buying power and I'm going through a very like circumstance right now.

    So long as the real estate asset was a rental property you can purchase rentals - any kind of rentals. You may want to look at commercial strip malls with solid national anchors (Dominos, Verizon, Subway, etc) or NNN single-tenant properties (Walgreens, Dollar Stores, etc...). In both cases, you're not dealing with one-year leases and in the case of the NNN you don't even pay the bills (taxes, insurance, none of it).

    I target 7%+ caps, long leases (+10 years), and 12% ROE.

  • Calvin OzanickBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Janesville, WI · Member since 2017 · 707 posts · 297 votes
    5y

    Good morning! First of all, a preemptive congratulations on the potential sale. I live and work in Rock County, Wisconsin. I work the Janesville and Beloit markets for the most part and I would love to pick your brain about what is happening in this area. The current market has been growing at such a high rate, and with large employers like Amazon, ABC Supply, Dollar General, Shine Medical and Mercy Health, this market boast robust tenants looking for nice rentals. However, the benefit of this market over many others is the sheer level of affordability it offers to investors. If you have time to chat, I would love to take some time to share some more information with you!

    Wisconsin Property Managers4.7413 Reviews
  • Calvin OzanickBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Janesville, WI · Member since 2017 · 707 posts · 297 votes
    5y
    I would love to take out some time to chat about your goals as well Mark. As I mentioned below, we work with many clients in the midst of a 1031 helping them acquire nice assets in competitive and affordable markets!

    Originally posted by @Mark H. Porter:

    I'm going to go out on a limb here as you have $5MM in buying power and I'm going through a very like circumstance right now.

    So long as the real estate asset was a rental property you can purchase rentals - any kind of rentals. You may want to look at commercial strip malls with solid national anchors (Dominos, Verizon, Subway, etc) or NNN single-tenant properties (Walgreens, Dollar Stores, etc...). In both cases, you're not dealing with one-year leases and in the case of the NNN you don't even pay the bills (taxes, insurance, none of it).

    I target 7%+ caps, long leases (+10 years), and 12% ROE.

    Wisconsin Property Managers4.7413 Reviews
  • New to Real Estate · Orlando, FL · Member since 2020 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    @Mark H. Porter Thank you very much for the insight.  I will bring your suggestions to their attention -- and if those returns are possible on those investments, they would certainly be something to seriously consider. 

  • New to Real Estate · Orlando, FL · Member since 2020 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    @Calvin Ozanick  I would be delighted to chat, sounds promising.  I'll send you an invitation.

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, Massachusetts (MA) · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Arturo Pena Miranda it may be easier to find one property where you aren’t maximally leveraged, just enough to complete the exchange, and then refi out some cash to find the numerous others. Tough to be under the gun looking for multiple deals in that asset class.

  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Mark H. Porter:

    I'm going to go out on a limb here as you have $5MM in buying power 

    I'd say get with your lender first and lock that up.  In multi-family, lenders are getting a lot pickier.  I'd assume the same for non-owner occupied SFRs.  To be safe, I'd say more like 70% LTV.

  • Investor · SC NC, VA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 756 votes
    5y

    @Steve Morris thanks, Steve. I got hold of a lender before I even started looking and sent him the past income taxes and PFS. I asked him point blank what areas, type of assets, and franchisee would be unquestionable. He guided me down the locations and assets they found attractive and would be applicable for that LTV, term, and rate he was offering.

    I’m also out of the MF game from a buying standpoint.  Three more MF buildings to sell.

  • Realtor · Lubbock, TX · Member since 2020 · 144 posts · 80 votes
    5y

    If you are interested at all in Lubbock, Texas let me know. There are several deals that would fit your criteria.

  • Real Estate Agent · New York City · Member since 2020 · 818 posts · 639 votes
    5y

    In my view, best thing to do is parley this into an appreciating, high value, "store of wealth" asset in an B+/A- market which will give you modest but stable cash flow. Someone recommended an NNN deal which could make sense, but vacancy can be a real killer if someone moves.

    Have you considered a small multifamily building in NYC? 

    Long term, I think NYC will come back as it always has time and time again. People are already getting bored of the suburbs and coming back! I am also a great believer in investing when there is distress and deploying capital when you can.

    If you are looking for yield in the short run, NYC may not be for you. If you are seeking out asset accumulation and equity appreciation over the long term then there are certainly fortunes to be made as you'd be buying at the bottom while everywhere else is topping out. 



    If you are looking for yield in the short run, Manhattan may not be for you. If you are seeking out asset accumulation and equity appreciation over the long term then there are certainly fortunes to be made

  • Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Mark H. Porter:

    I'm going to go out on a limb here as you have $5MM in buying power and I'm going through a very like circumstance right now.

    So long as the real estate asset was a rental property you can purchase rentals - any kind of rentals. You may want to look at commercial strip malls with solid national anchors (Dominos, Verizon, Subway, etc) or NNN single-tenant properties (Walgreens, Dollar Stores, etc...). In both cases, you're not dealing with one-year leases and in the case of the NNN you don't even pay the bills (taxes, insurance, none of it).

    I target 7%+ caps, long leases (+10 years), and 12% ROE.

    Agreed, commercial should present far less of a headache than distressed single families. Particularly considering the 1031's time constraints. 

    I'd also look into the deferred sales trust.

  • New to Real Estate · Orlando, FL · Member since 2020 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    @Alexander Szikla  Appreciate the insight, Alexander.  I have not considered small multifamily in NYC.  Definitely agree that NYC will come back, and that money is to be made by those who take risks by investing in times of market distress.  Looking from the outside in, what mostly concerns me about NYC is the strict landlord regulations, high taxes, etc.  I would be open to further discussion, however, and would be interested in learning further. 

  • New to Real Estate · Orlando, FL · Member since 2020 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    @Taylor L. Thank you for bringing to my attention the deferred sales trust possibility.  Very helpful.

  • Real Estate Broker · Treasure Island, FL · Member since 2019 · 45 posts · 42 votes
    5y

    @Arturo Pena Miranda

    Hello Arturo,

    There are many investment opportunities in the Gulf Beaches area (St Pete Beach up through Clearwater Beach) as well as downtown St Petersburg. The market is robust with a lot of variety. Property moves very quickly, average time to contract 21 days. Solid year to year growth in demand and value. Definitely worth your consideration.

    Let me know if I can help. Thanks!

  • Paul MoorePro Member
    Commercial Real Estate Fund Manager · Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Arturo Pena Miranda.  I would think seriously first about your LT goals in the real estate investing realm. I'm sure you have. Then I would do what it takes to reach that goal. 

    Also, I would do everything in my power to delay your closing until after you choose your 1031-exchange reinvestment property. That will relieve a lot of pressure that can mess up almost any 1031 process these days. 

    I'd also recommend you choose a DST (Delaware Statutory Trust) you like and write it in as one of your 3 options in the 1031. Then if your first and second choices go badly, you will have an alternative that can preserve the exchange. Here is a post on this topic: https://www.biggerpockets.com/...  

    There is another way to think about this, however. By investing in a commercial asset with highly accelerated (bonus) depreciation, you may be able to achieve losses that offset even more gains than a 1031-exchange can do. I've run this through CPA/Tax Strategists and they have agreed that this can actually be better than a 1031 exchange. By acquiring a property that has very high bonus depreciation (accessed/proven through a cost segregation study), it can create same-tax-year losses that can offset prior gains. And since losses in the replacement asset are created at your personal tax rate, it is often higher than the LT capital gains rate you paid on the gain. 

    Here is a post that explains my thoughts on this last point. https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

    Good luck! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Murrieta, CA · Member since 2020 · 338 posts · 343 votes
    5y

    @Arturo Pena Miranda
    I think you are going to run into some issues buying so many SFRs.  Why not just buy one MF unit and minimize the amount of transactions you are doing?  Having all your units in one area will also make it easier to manage and lower your expenses.

  • New to Real Estate · Orlando, FL · Member since 2020 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    @Cynthia McGathey Thank you Cynthia.  We have a general idea of the market in that area and we would be interested in discussing it with you further.  I have PM'd you.

  • New to Real Estate · Orlando, FL · Member since 2020 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    @Paul Moore  Thank you for extremely informative comment and your articles expounding on your comment.  Truly quality information there.  We will discuss and consider these options with our tax professionals.  Many thanks for making these options known!

  • New to Real Estate · Orlando, FL · Member since 2020 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    @Nick Robinson I agree that there is significant risk in making multiple SFH transactions to cover a 1031 exchange. We are looking into ways of mitigating the risks. The main problem we have with purchasing a single MF property is that our success will depend on the performance of a single building. Tough to incur that risk -- we already went through it with the property we are selling -- and we would not want to incur it again. But we are open to considering all opportunities.

  • Rental Property Investor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2019 · 264 posts · 279 votes
    5y

    @Arturo Pena Miranda depending on where you buy it will be easy to find a few properties in Florida that will meet those goals. Anywhere along the beaches a few blocks from the ocean you can find B-A neighborhoods where SFH's are selling for 3-400K. Meeting the 1 % rule these days is not that easy. I have one home 10 blocks from the Ocean that is Valued at $425k. Of course I have owned it for awhile My rental income on that property is $36k per year, but the house is appreciating at least 8% a year as well. ( for now ). So a lot of factors to consider. I think property in 2021 in certain areas will give much more appreciation than the normal 2-3%. Hey eventually the tax man is coming for us anyway. With the new Dems in control you might be better off taking the money and paying your taxes now.

  • Rental Property Investor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2019 · 264 posts · 279 votes
    5y

    @Fred Cannon I wanted to ask if that million plus is all cash or was their a mortgage payoff as well. That can really change the tax's due strategy and the amount of new investment you can afford.

  • New to Real Estate · Orlando, FL · Member since 2020 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    @Fred Cannon Thanks Fred, appreciate the insight.  Yes, Central Florida certainly is a tough market to meet the 1% rule at the moment (and probably will be this way for a while).  I agree, lots to think about.

    My family owns the property we are going to sell outright, so no mortgage payoff involved in the transaction.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.