Transferring a property to an LLC and whats next

Transferring a property to an LLC and whats next

Member since 2021 · 5 posts · 2 votes

I recently completely paid off one of my rental properties and am weighing options on what to do next. The property is currently in my name but I am planning on quitclaiming it to an LLC I formed. Once I have the property in the LLC I am looking to do a HELOC on the property and use the money to buy another rental property through the LLC. I am just wondering if this makes sense. I am only a few years into the investment game and looking to hear from other investors if this makes sense or if theres a better approach to what I want to achieve (ultimately owning more properties). Thanks for anyones input in advance!

1Reply
9 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Greg ScottPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    Josh:

    I'm not a lawyer, but this is what I would do given the little I know about your situation.

    I would not put the property in the LLC. (If you like, use the LLC for managing the business to make tax deduction easier.) I would do a cash-out refi for the maximum I could get out. I'd use a conventional mortgage to get the best rates and terms. Assuming 75% LTV, I'd go buy three more properties just like that one, using conventional mortgages.

    Beauty of this strategy, if you are in a good market, it will maximize your cashflow, increase your opportunity to benefit from appreciation, and reduce your risk of lawsuit.  (Lawyers love to attack houses with no mortgage but usually only go after insurance liability on ones with mortgages.)

  • Lender · Hackensack, NJ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 372 votes
    5y

    A HELOC is easier to obtain in your personal name. If you place it under an LLC a cash out refi might be the direction you would have to go in

  • Insurance Agent · Norwalk, CT · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Josh,

    Check with your current Insurance agent and make sure they can just change the insured to the LLC on the policy. There are some companies that will not write LLC's and others that will want more info on the LLC (other members, any other operations, etc.). If you do have to move to a different Insurance company you can have that all lined up and know the costs.

  • Member since 2021 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Tarik Turner:

    A HELOC is easier to obtain in your personal name. If you place it under an LLC a cash out refi might be the direction you would have to go in

    Thats what its looking like in the talks with several banks right now. Shopping around trying to feel out who will work with me

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.