Sell houses own by LLC to spouse

Sell houses own by LLC to spouse

Mason, OH · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 6 votes

Hi folks,

I and my business partner own a couple of properties under a 2-member LLC. Would it be possible (legal) to sell the houses to my wife or my business partner's wife and get conventional loans while doing that?

Any thoughts?

0Reply
43 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Los Angeles · Member since 2018 · 464 posts · 471 votes
    5y

    1. Contact an attorney familiar with LLC and Tax law in your jurisdiction.

    2. I honestly doubt this would work, even if it proves to be legal. Lenders aren't stupid. They'll see your wife's name on the deed and immediately ask, "ok, so what's different between you, her, and your LLC?" Then no matter how you answer, in this day and age of Covid "Abundance of Caution" they'll just deny the loan. They're not hurting for borrowers right now.

    3. Everything I've heard about LLC's says to get the loans in your name, then if you want to, transfer them to the LLC. But I've also heard opinions that you most likely won't really need an LLC. I don't remember the details, but we have a BPer who handles "Land Trusts" and recommends that strategy over LLC.

    4. Did I say to contact an attorney? Bears repeating.

  • Real Estate Agent · Boise, ID · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 888 votes
    5y

    @Jielu Zhao I do not see why it would be illegal. Would your wife or business partners wife be able to qualify solely for the loan? 

    If you don't mind me asking what are you trying to accomplish doing this, other than moving business debt to personal debt?

  • Mason, OH · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 6 votes
    5y
    Hi Alvin. Thank you for the reply. I appreciate it!

    Originally posted by @Alvin Sylvain:

    1. Contact an attorney familiar with LLC and Tax law in your jurisdiction.

    2. I honestly doubt this would work, even if it proves to be legal. Lenders aren't stupid. They'll see your wife's name on the deed and immediately ask, "ok, so what's different between you, her, and your LLC?" Then no matter how you answer, in this day and age of Covid "Abundance of Caution" they'll just deny the loan. They're not hurting for borrowers right now.

    3. Everything I've heard about LLC's says to get the loans in your name, then if you want to, transfer them to the LLC. But I've also heard opinions that you most likely won't really need an LLC. I don't remember the details, but we have a BPer who handles "Land Trusts" and recommends that strategy over LLC.

    4. Did I say to contact an attorney? Bears repeating.

  • Mason, OH · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 6 votes
    5y
    Hi Chris. Thank you for your message.
    The houses are paid off. We would like to get some liquidity out but have not found a lender who is willing to do cash out refi for a multi member llc, and we don't want to give up on the properties yet.

    Originally posted by @Chris Davidson:

    @Jielu Zhao I do not see why it would be illegal. Would your wife or business partners wife be able to qualify solely for the loan? 

    If you don't mind me asking what are you trying to accomplish doing this, other than moving business debt to personal debt?

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 24 votes
    5y

    @Jielu Zhao

    Deed the properties into you or your wife's name, refinance the property then warranty deed it back into LLC name.

  • Mason, OH · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 6 votes
    5y
    Thanks, Matt.
    would the transfer trigger capital gain tax? 


    Originally posted by @Matt Maupin:

    @Jielu Zhao

    Deed the properties into you or your wife's name, refinance the property then warranty deed it back into LLC name.

  • Rental Property Investor · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2011 · 701 posts · 531 votes
    5y

    I would think it would likely trigger capital gains but talk to a CPA, I am certainly not tax expert. If you own it free and clear and are not able to get a LOC against the property then there must be an underlining issue besides the LLC structure. I don't see were a two member LLC has any bearing, think about all the partnerships out there that buy assets. Why are banks saying they will not lend to a two member LLC?

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 24 votes
    5y

    @Jielu Zhao

    Im not a CPA, but if the transfer price is $10, you would only have capital gains if you paid less than $10.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.