• Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
The great lumber price gouge of 2020 2021

Jay Hinrichs#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Posted Apr 13 2021, 10:17

AS anyone who has been buying any kind of dimensional lumber knows prices have sky rocketed as much as 400% for some items in the last year.

To me it seems like price fixing gouging..  at least here in the Northwest which is timber country  Saw mill country etc.

I was talking to my old partner in my land and timber company of the 90s and I was asking him what he is doing this logging season.. Fully expected him to say they are going to do great etc with the demand.
Answer was shocking:

He is probably not going to log at all.. the Mills have LOWERED delivered Log prices to almost 1980s level .

The reason is all the fires here in Oregon have the mills salvage logging like crazy and they have more logs then they know what to do with and they get good stump age prices from the public lands and then private log prices follow that .. so they have a year or so to log like made to get the fire damaged logs in and milled while they are still marketable.

So over supply of logs yet lumber sky rocketed.. whats going on ????  Mills making a killing  Lumber brokers making a killing ?   I am going fishing in a few months with a friend of mine that owned a few saw mills here in Oregon and sold out to Weyerhouser and retired about 7 or 8 years ago see if he has any inside of what is going on.

Loading replies...