House slowly sinking - an urgent fix?

3 Replies

HI, I bought my first house two years ago. House was built in 1953.  I notice some cracking and sticking doors. Had a couple of experts out so far. Both determine house is 3" lower in one corner compared to the far corner.  Foundation seems to be fine, but house is on clay soil which is causing the problem. 
One expert thinks 3" over 70 years isnt that bad. He suggests first coming up with a new drainage solution and seeing how it goes. Second expert says I need push piers and smart jacks and is quoting a gigantic $44k. Seems an awful lot to fix some cracks. Anyway, 44k not an affordable solution. Not sure what to do here. 

Will keep talking to experts but wonder of anyone has any advice? Let me know if you need more info.

It needs to be addressed and fixed.

Small jacks on cement blocks that will re level out the settling issues.

They have a cement block that will hold a 4x4 that cost about $15 at Home Depot/Lowes.

All you need is one car jack and go underneath and put the jack on a large piece of wood or cement.

Jack that area up and put one of those cement supports and a 4x4 about and 1/4 higher then level.

Then let jack down.  You may need to buy 2-5 or more of them and place as needed.  I have done this

several times but live to far from you.!!!  Ha ha !

Someone should charge you under $500 and you pay for the product and they should do in in about 

3-6 hours!!!

Cement blocks    and one or two 4x4 by 8 foot lumber  product between $50-$150.

Labor $50-$75 an hour.

Some handyman would know how to do this and save you $$$$.

Don't have some GC tell you different or some skinny jeans tell you different!

Good luck!

Hi @Andrew Grisdale , welcome to the Biggerpockets forums!

3" in general is a not-insignificant amount of foundation deflection in general.  Depending on several factors, like how wide your home is (distance between high and low points) and how suddenly symptoms have appeared.

It's worth mentioning that it IS possible the foundation was not level at the onset back in '53.  I doubt it is 3", but it may not have been 0.

In general optimizing your drainage and keeping an eye on tell-tale locations would be a good play.  If you don't feel cracks in your subfloor (assuming you have a slab foundation) or rolls and breaks in your stemwall (assuming pier-and-beam foundation) then it is unlikely to be a hair-on-fire issue.  Optimize and watch diligently over time.

Thanks for the responses, all. 

Foundation is crawlspace, not slab. Seems to be in decent condition in and of itself.

I should have added that kitchen is about to be remodeled. Work literally starts in two weeks! So now I am in a dilemma of having to cancel that job after years of trying to get that project off the ground. I feel myself in a real bind about it.