Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Adriana Vergara
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Should I pay debt with my IRA? or should I invest the IRA?

Adriana Vergara
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Posted Apr 20 2021, 13:49

Hello ALl! first post here... My name is Adriana Vergara, I´m 35, single, no kids. Journalist background (worked in CNN for 8 years) I Now I have a soccer school in Atlanta GA, and also I became an apprentice in real state thanks to COVID and my boyfriend. 

I´m trying to Strahten the boat, to start buying real estate, I would love to get the opinion from all the gurus out there before taking a decision here. 

So....

- I´m $34,373 in debt on credit cards. (I know.. it just happened and now it's time to make things right).
- At the same time, I have an IRA with a $68,806 net worth.

I have spent the past year helping and learning with my boyfriend who´s a realtor and who 4 years ago started doing flips. I have spent the past months reading, learning, listening to podcasts, youtube channels. etc.. and definitely I know I want to do this, I want to start with something, so one day I can talk about my own rental portfolio.

I have never bought a house before, so I still have that option to buy with a 3 or 3.5% down, but of course, my DTI is just too high...

So... the question is... Should I withdraw part of the IRA to:

1. A- Pay the total of your debt! 
  2. B- Pay part of the debt (at least leave it in 30%) and use the rest for a downpayment 
  3. C- Don´t use your IRA money to pay the debt! just find the way to use someone else's credit (I have that option as well) you put the down and go 50-50 with that person on the property
  4. D- YOU have no idea what are you talking about, TRY TO DO THIS INSTEAD (please give me some suggestions!!!)

Here´s the  breakdown of my cards: 

• AMEX - $19,135 (I have an installment plan, at 7.99% APR, they won't close my account when I pay off the card) (credit line 22K)
  • VISA WellsFargo - $6,865 at 21.99% APR (credit line $7,350)
  • DISCOVER - $3.369 at 11.99% APR (credit line 7k)
  • CHASE Freedom - $5,003 at 22.99% APR (credit line $5,500)

I have no more savings. 

About my income:
 I pay myself around 3K a month and I get a 20% commission on every transaction when helping my boyfriend representing sellers and buyers. 

I'm so compromised with this, that I just sold my car (I had a loan for 19k and got 20.5K for it) I know I can deal without a car right now and I want to lower down my monthly expenses to see where else I can put my money. 

So... is it a good idea to use the IRA money to pay debt? or how else can I use it?

PS. I already know about the 10% taxes that I'll get charged if I decide to withdraw from the IRA, I know that I will pay a penalty (not in the first 10K if I use them in a first house). But hey... I'm just trying to find a way to start from 0 or to at least do something.

Thanks all for reading all this way!! In advance, I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. 

Best regards. 
Adriana. 

Loading replies...