What are the best markets in REI that few know about?

37 Replies

I literally just came back from Jackson yesterday. The original property I passed on but saw another I put an offer on and it got accepted. 2k over asking price. This will be my first property out there. I will only cash flow 200 after all expenses 

@John Dahl be incredibly careful of Ohio. Do your research. All of the Ohio real estate agents like point out “the good metrics” in their local cities. What they forget to include is the decreasing population in most of Ohio. Toledo for example. 30% of the population has disappeared in the last 40 years with the trend line still aiming for the ground. Who is gonna buy those long term properties in another 30 years?

Originally posted by @Corey Frank :

@John Dahl be incredibly careful of Ohio. Do your research. All of the Ohio real estate agents like point out “the good metrics” in their local cities. What they forget to include is the decreasing population in most of Ohio. Toledo for example. 30% of the population has disappeared in the last 40 years with the trend line still aiming for the ground. Who is gonna buy those long term properties in another 30 years?

I took what you said to heart sir. You seem very knowledgeable. Would love to know where you are looking to invest. :)

Originally posted by @Joe S. :
Originally posted by @Corey Frank:

I took what you said to heart sir. You seem very knowledgeable. Would love to know where you are looking to invest. :)

Agree. @Brian Ploszay has mentioned this before. Be very careful were you buy in Toledo.

Originally posted by @Robert Tinker :

@Jonathan Greene Are you currently investing in Lakeland? It's come up on my radar and would like to investigate it more

I know some people actively investing in the Lakeland market. I would be happy to share with you what I know about their experience and what we are seeing in the market. 

Originally posted by @Corey Frank :

What about Columbus, Ohio? The population has been increasing rapidly!

Originally posted by @Taylor L. :
Originally posted by @John Dahl:

@Taylor L.
That was the answer that I expected, but it never hurts to ask the question!

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to be focusing on a specific market very soon. I've heard from other out of state investors, and even David Greene say that with today's technology it was no longer needed to visit the location of your investments if you have solid connections there. I can see both sides. 

The flight thing is just a way to narrow the search a bit. I do think going to the market and studying it well is critical, but it's not like you necessarily need to travel there all the time. Understanding the market helps you develop judgment about deals so you do not have to exclusively rely on the opinions of others. 

Thanks for the advice! I checked out your website too. A lot a great content. Appreciate it!

Hey John!

Over the past few weeks I have put together an excel spreadsheet containing data relevant to todays unpredictable market. As we all are aching to embark on our next real estate project, there is a lot of information to assess. I have created a spreadsheet with the top 15 highest ranked/most potential growth cities in the US. This document holds information from basics such as crime rate and unemployment rate to TOP ranked neighborhoods in that city with the average rents, average cost/sqft, and so much more (20 pieces of information per city) all organized and color coded. I'll save you the hassle of exploring markets and information as I have it all condensed into one form for you with markets you didn't even know were cash cows.

These cities are nationwide. I have worked with multiple OOS investors and agents from those specific cities to verify my data.
I am selling them out for $125 and have already sold 68 of them to various investors. Let me know if you want a copy.

Noah Spiegel

As both @Jonathan Greene and @Tyler Gibson have mentioned, Lakeland! There’s continuous population growth in Lakeland and both Tampa and Orlando continue to expand. In my opinion, it’ll be a central hub that will offer residents the opportunity to work in either Orlando or Tampa, especially if work from home continues to become the norm.