What financial mistakes did you make on first home purchase?

What financial mistakes did you make on first home purchase?

Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hi All!  I'm new to this group!  What financial mistakes did you make when you purchased your first home?

Anything and everything is on the table!  For me, I didn't understand that the mortgage loan was offering the interest rate as points.

0Reply
11 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jeff SchemmelBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2014 · 384 posts · 401 votes
    4y

    I view this as a mistake, but it may not be very material on paper.  It's just something I'm going to pay more attention to in the next transaction.  Closing and loan costs were something I glossed over during my first purchase of a duplex.  I was so hyperfocused on becoming an investor and landlord that I neglected the proper due diligence to look through the line items and make sure I knew what I was paying for and that the value was there.  I also think when you're house hacking you blur the lines a bit between "this is my home" and "this is my rental" and it can be easy to legitimize putting tile backsplash in when it's really not necessary.  Stuff adds up :)

  • Real Estate Agent · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2020 · 103 posts · 64 votes
    4y

    Hey Brandon! Thanks for this post.

    One of my financial mistakes was not considering PMI!!! I failed to consider this fee when calculating my mortgage payment. It ended up working out in the end but as Jeff said I glossed over it and missed it in my due diligence. So the big takeaway is to triple check everything! Even if you're sure about your numbers, run them again. And then have a friend look over them without you there. We have to be 100% confident in our numbers.

  • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    Thanks all for your answers!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.