former Gas station land

3 Replies

Looking to buy a parcel of land, used to be a gas station. 10 years ago they shut down, did a phase 2 and found contamination from the storage tanks. The gas station company remedied the situation and got a no further action notice from the county. What are the risks if I buy now to develop? Whats the worst damage or worst case scenario once i take possession of the land.

thank you in advance.

Martin - You will have to get a Phase I anyway within the prescribed time as part of acquisition, so do that with a reputable company which should include the remediation results and NFA letter. If you have all that, should be case closed and ready to develop.

Definitely follow @Joel Owens   counsel.  The NFA may be limited to current use. If you want to develop you may be required to do additional work ... Can you say "expensive"?!  During a recent refi and phase I we discovered there was a gas station on our parking lot back in the '50's.  led to a phase II. They drilled for samples,  found Bunker C oil, ... We have about 6 months to go before our NFA letter.  In this case they won't likely require remediation unless we change use, which we have no intention of doing. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.