I'm Motivated, Are You?

4 Replies

BP readers,

For those of you that don't know me, I'm starting out as a cre broker in January and am really pumped up to return from my stint in Australia to get started (although I'm quite happy "down under").

I've just graduated college and feel I have an unbelievable opportunity to get started working under a mentor I established a relationship with the previous summer.

Anyways, I've found that reading relevant quotes fires me up more and more and gets me thinking about the grueling workload I'll be facing come January.

Since we can all use a bit of motivation every now and then, below are some of my favorite quotes I've come across recently:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value. –Albert Einstein

You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. –Wayne Gretzky

The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any. –Alice Walker

I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed. –Michael Jordan

You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore. –Christopher Columbus

The best revenge is massive success. –Frank Sinatra

I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do. –Leonardo da Vinci

If you want to achieve greatness stop asking for permission.~Anonymous

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.~Walt Disney

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.~Thomas A. Edison

“Wins and losses come a dime a dozen. But effort? Nobody can judge that. Because effort is between you and you.” -Ray Lewis

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.~Eleanor Roosevelt

If you're going through hell keep going.~Winston Churchill

The ones who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones that do.~Anonymous

Don't be afraid to give up the good to go for the great.~John D. Rockefeller

Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower.~Steve Jobs

I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have.~Thomas Jefferson

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up." -Vince Lombardi

You measure the size of the accomplishment by the obstacles you had to overcome to reach your goals.~Booker T. Washington

“Today I will do what others won’t, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can’t.” -Jerry Rice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The list could go on and on, but I think this is a good place to start. Pick out your favorite and comment on why it is such or add to the list!

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks @Michael Morris  

I started work under a great mentor as a commercial broker in Chicago about 5 months ago, and studied abroad in Australia for 6 months.

PM me, and we'll see if we can be sounding boards to keep each other motivated (cold calls can get monotonous...)

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but how did you find it easy to get in with a firm? I'm also graduating in December with a Finance Degree and work experience as a credit manager for a construction supply company. I just can't seem to find any place to get my foot in the door, even as a Broker's associate

@AdamGriffis,

First off, I wouldn't say I found it easy to get in with a firm. It's not a simple task when you're straight out of college and have no experience, especially when trying to go straight into brokerage. 

Most CRE firms, and especially the big fish tend to look for at least 3 years of property management before they will consider hiring you as a broker. The firm I'll be starting at has a similar prerequisite but will occasionally make exceptions.

In my case, I came on for a summer as an intern and worked two weeks in each sector of the company (accounting, lease admin, property management, brokerage and asset management). Throughout the course of my time there, I continuously sought out the brokers, although they were sometimes hard to approach, and made it vehemently clear that I had the right attitude and commitment to become a broker. 

Throughout the course of the following school year, I kept up with people around the firm, especially my mentor that had gotten me the internship in the first place, and whose nephew was now playing on my lacrosse team.  Not a bad coincidence. 

So after I graduated, I let him know I was headed to Australia for six months but was still very interested in working for him if anything came up. About a month and a half later, he reached out and asked me to come on as a broker working under him. 

For you right now, you need to realize that the commercial real estate industry is driven by relationships. Reach out to anyone and everyone you know in the industry and ask them what they know about who is hiring and how to get hired. However, you're only going to know so many people. 

You can look up firms online, become another applicant in their system with a resume and a cover letter... but don't do that. 

Get a phone number of a broker, CEO, whatever. Call them and say I want to work for your company, and tell them how you can contribute to their success. If you're after a brokerage position go to them and say all I need is a desk, I'll go out and earn my commissions. 

Know that the process isn't easy. Have a list of about 10 companies and numbers, sit down and call each one, one after another until you get a bite. It's easier to batch the calls than convince yourself to make one call each day, so dedicate a time slot to get it all done with real conversation rather than becoming just another applicant. 

I'm happy to help more, let me know how it goes. The fact that you're reaching out to people on BP is great. Also, I'm working on putting together a CRE company directory on my blog for those looking for work, so look out for that.

Best of luck, 

Michael