Rails to Trails

6 Replies

Does it bother you as much as it bothers me?

I recently looked at an industrial building that had an old rail siding. So I followed the tracks up to see if the line they came off of was active. The tracks looked like they hadn't seen any traffic in years.

So anyway, while doing my due diligence, I found out that there were plans for a "Rails to Trails" for that line.

All I can picture is environmental do-gooders on bicycles and copper thieves having access to the back of the property

Lol, I don’t know about that! All I can tell you is from my own experience. I don’t own a building on a Rails to Trails, but I used to cycle a lot on the local Rails to Trails. It leaves from near the center of town, wanders through some of the older industrial sections, then through some lower middle class neighborhoods, and then out into a state park.

Before I had a kid, I would ride it out and back at least twice a week. Most of the people I saw riding on the trail were either recreational riders just out getting exercise or hard-core cyclists out training. I never saw anyone acting suspicious on the trail.

I had always thought that the visibility that the trail offered was a positive. Business could get extra exposure with signage fronting the trails, etc. In fact, we just had a brewery open just off of the trail last year which allows cyclists to meet up there after rides. Maybe the opening of the Rails to Trails would even increase the value of the property.

Maybe I’m being biased because I was a cyclist though. I also have to admit that I only rode the trail during the day so I’m not sure what kind of exposure you’d have at night.

Anyway, hope this helps! 

Yeah well I'm not running a sidewalk cafe, or a micro brewery.

I come home with stuff that looks like this sometimes, and I don't want an audience or children running around trying to get hurt.

@Joe Cummings

Which trail are you referencing?  I am in your area and have been on plenty of the trails.  In all honesty most people on the trails stick to the trails and are just interested in getting their exercise.  People that are looking to be thieves or any other kind of trouble don't need a fresh trail to do it.  Although it makes for a clean getaway.  

Actually about 100 miles west of here.

But seriously, does anyone really want strangers passing through their back yard?

People today are too stupid to even know not to watch someone arc weld. This is an industrial property, it's no place for garden parties, and fudgepacker festivals

I had to look up what exactly rails to trails was and came across this recent court case:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_M._Brandt_Revo...

I'm not a lawyer and so won't speculate what exactly it would mean for you and this property, but it seems like that trail conversion plan might have had to be abandoned because the rail easement is gone.

@Lee I.

"For all I know, there is some right of way that goes through people's houses, you know," Justice Stephen Breyer said, "and all of a sudden, they are going to be living in their house and suddenly a bicycle will run through it."

Family Trust Wins Supreme Court Fight Against Bike Trail