Where are the sources to do commercial/industrial real estate research?

22 Replies

Does anyone know of good websites to find out the market statistics for commercial and industrial real estate?  Currently, I'm googling for information online to find out who the builders/companies are for new industrial construction in southwest Las Vegas.  I went on Colliers website and they report how many square feet is under construction for this year but I need to know what kinds of companies are building them and what are these industrial spaces going to be used for.  Is there a source I can go and find out this data?  Is there some kind of press release that would have this info?  Thanks!

Many markets have some sort of Business Journal that reports on this type of activity. Otherwise other market insiders such as local commercial realtors and/or commercial appraisers generally have a good feel of what is being proposed and/or developed.

Originally posted by @Peggy Liu :

Does anyone know of good websites to find out the market statistics for commercial and industrial real estate?  Currently, I'm googling for information online to find out who the builders/companies are for new industrial construction in southwest Las Vegas.  I went on Colliers website and they report how many square feet is under construction for this year but I need to know what kinds of companies are building them and what are these industrial spaces going to be used for.  Is there a source I can go and find out this data?  Is there some kind of press release that would have this info?  Thanks!

I suspect a good majority of the new construction that is going up is being built on spec and if they do have a tenant lined up for the space prior to completion any announcement of that would be in the local business journal as mentioned. 

Another source would be CoStar. CoStar does a pretty good job of generating and storing lease comps, but since its new construction they might not have these comps. In addition, you would need to subscribe to the local version of CoStar which isn't an inexpensive option (est $1,000+ per month) that is sold on an annual subscription basis. 

@Peggy Liu  Can you be a little more specific? If we knew what your reasoning was, it may help you find more accurate information. For instance, if you are looking to see who the contractors or developers are on certain projects, you can probably access that information through the Building or Planning Department website (you usually search by address) 

To find out what companies are moving in, you might try the business journals, or the local newspapers business section, Chamber of Commerce, etc. 

Also, as was mentioned, commercial agents are always a good source, and know everything that is happening in an area. 

Maybe @Joel Owens can give some insight too, though I think he does more apartment type properties than commercial/industrial but he still might know good sources. 

Loopnet and CoStar have merged and are good for comps on stuff sold if you're looking for that. But, they are pretty spendy. 

Good luck.

I agree with Peggy, we re not sure what you re looking for, but in case it helps, there is the Ikea project going on in that Southwest area I believe.

Jean

If you want to know who the players are in any given market there are a few ways.

Learn the zoning classification for the county of industrial properties in your area.

Each county usually has varying zoning. One county might call industrial I-1 where another might call it IND -1000.

Then go work the property tax records to find who owns what.

You can also pull the current and future land use map. See where the concentration is approved for land wise in that county or industrial use. This should show what is there today and what will be built into the future for development.

Look for zoning hearings and site plan approvals being submitted. That will show who is local and who is outside the area but wants to expand there.

Commercial real estate companies tend to get reports you are talking about from info source companies. The data you are asking about is specialized. Do not expect people to hand you this data. If you want it given to you expect it to cost through the nose or you can put in the time for the data.

I do not focus on industrial. I do larger apartment buildings and retail single NNN and strip centers. I have a full time employee tracking lots of metrics and you spend hundreds of hours sourcing this information.

Hi @Karen Margrave Thank you for your suggestions.

I received the quarterly data from Colliers stating that about 110,000 square feet of industrial real estate were newly constructed as of the end of Q2 in the southwest region of Las Vegas.  I was trying to see and understand what these 110,000 square feet is comprised of...is it one building, two, or more and where is the location of these building(s) specifically?  I actually contacted a person from Colliers after I wrote this post and he did help me find the answers to my questions. The reason for all this is that I need to gather more specific data to analyze and see if there is a need for more of these types of buildings in the future.  

Thanks for the information @Joel Owens   I will look more into info source companies

Originally posted by @Peggy Liu :

Hi @Karen Margrave Thank you for your suggestions.

I received the quarterly data from Colliers stating that about 110,000 square feet of industrial real estate were newly constructed as of the end of Q2 in the southwest region of Las Vegas.  I was trying to see and understand what these 110,000 square feet is comprised of...is it one building, two, or more and where is the location of these building(s) specifically?  I actually contacted a person from Colliers after I wrote this post and he did help me find the answers to my questions. The reason for all this is that I need to gather more specific data to analyze and see if there is a need for more of these types of buildings in the future.  

Thanks for the information @Joel Owens   I will look more into info source companies

Hi im working to get same type of data. We can exchange info. Would you mind sharing with me the info colliers has given you. If not; what is the colliers given to you. Thanks.

@Karen Schimpf  Yes, Loopnet and Costar have raised their prices and are ridiculous, unless you're a commercial broker that uses those services everyday, it's just not worth it. 

I checked out the site you mentioned, though I think they only show listings which are actually listed on their site. I messaged them for more information. Thanks

I am not a broker just an individual investor.  I pay the almost $3000/year fee for Loopnet.  I check it around 5-10x per day.  If you get the jump on one deal that closes, it pays for itself. 

@Ash Patel Don't get me wrong, if Loopnet is something that has value to you, and you  need it everyday, then obviously it has value. For my purposes, having been a member in the past, it just didn't have enough of the types of listings I was looking for. 

My name is glynis newsome. HELP! My husband and i are just getting started into

trying to invest. where do we start? How do we get funding? We have tried but scores

are too low and no one is saying yes, what is our next step. We are in brazos county

tx and there is so much potiential, what do we do?

@Peggy Liu I would suggest teaming up a with a broker.  I may be biased in my answer because I am an industrial real estate broker but, it's my job to listen and research information about the market in my area.  If you're trying to figure out if there is a "need" in the market take a look at a few simple stats- VACANCY RATES in the segment your interested in (not just "industrial" but more specifically <5,000SF warehouse, 5,000SF-10,000SF of warehouse, 10,000SF-20,000SF of warehouse, etc, etc; the <5,000SF users are dramatically different in their needs than a 50,000SF user), AVERAGE RENT/SF (rate of return on an existing warehouse versus a new build), COST OF NEW CONSTRUCTION/SF (including land acquisition price).  These three indicators will give you a good start on whether the market you're interested in is primed for development.

Good luck!