Industrial Space with Great Major tenant, I need advice

Industrial Space with Great Major tenant, I need advice

Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 7 votes

So I came accross a deal for a Single tenant industrial warehouse space for a major package distributor. AA+ Credit and very well Global recognized name. Their original lease was for 10 yrs, and it expires in 3 years. The price is very good, with a great cap rate, but how can I negotiate a resign of the lease before I buy it? If the tenant decides not to re-lease, I'm left with a large 30-50 GLA empty! 

Those of you that have done industrial, any suggestions? 

Thanks

0Reply
9 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ronald RohdePro Member
    Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    I would have the Seller sign a new lease with Tenant. You can be active and demonstrate you'll be a great landlord based on your history/experience, etc. But If the Tenant doesnt need to renew, there's little leverage depending on your particular market.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    Thanks for the advice, but how soon typically would a tenant re-sign or extend a lease? 3 years earlier? 1 year? Thanks

  • Real Estate Broker · Lansing, MI · Member since 2015 · 90 posts · 53 votes
    9y

    You may have to offer some sort of incentive. I've had a seller approach the tenant offering to let them sign early to ensure they wouldn't get their rent raised by the new owner. I also had a client that needed get their tenant locked in for another 5 years in order to have the property refinanced. They ended up making a deal with them where they resurfaced the parking lot in exchange for renewing early. 

    If they plan on staying anyway you hopefully won't have to offer them too much. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.