• Investor
  • Watsonville, CA
Votes |
Seller Refusing to provide Phase I ESA

Erik Nizenkoff
  • Investor
  • Watsonville, CA
Posted Oct 29 2017, 13:43

Hi,  I've been lurking on the forums for awhile, but this is my first time posting.

I'm currently 14 days into a 60 day escrow on the purchase of a commercial property in California.  This would be our first commercial property, we also own a rental condo.  The property is 1/2 acre with a 2000 sq ft building containing 4 units.  My wife and I have been tenants in one of the buildings for the past 2 years, so we're pretty familiar with the property.  The landlord is a VERY difficult person to deal with, which is part of our reason for buying the building.  

This property was originally built as a gas station/mechanic's shop in the 1930's.  Gas tanks were abandoned in the 1960's.  In 1995, the tanks were filled in place by a reputable company and all required reports were filed with the county's environmental health department.  I have no reason to believe the property is contaminated.

Our landlord/seller is also a licensed real estate broker.  He is representing himself in the sale.  He provided a "Commerical Property Purchase Agreement Receipt For Deposit, And Escrow Instructions" Form from 1998.  A little outdated, but ok... Since seller was representing himself, I hired a real estate attorney to assist me with the purchase.  I figured this was the prudent thing to do.  My attorney reviewed the purchase agreement and made a couple of edits/addendums.  The seller agreed to the addendums, we both signed, and I gave him a check for a deposit made out to the escrow company.

One line item that the seller filled out on his own originally was: "10. [X] ENVIRONMENTAL SURVEY: Within ____ Days After Acceptance, Buyer shall be provided a phase one environmental survey report paid for and obtained by [  ] Buyer, [X] Seller. Buyer, within the time specified in paragraph 21, shall provide Seller with written notice of any item disapproved."

My attorney added the addendum: "(i) Buyer has 35 Days after receipt of the environmental survey (pursuant to paragraph 10) to complete any environmental inspection and remove any contingency or disapproval right concerning the environmental condition of the property."

5 Days into escrow, the seller provided a "Residential Property Disclosure Report" he purchased online as well as a copy of the UST closure report.  About 4 days later, I reminded him I needed a phase I environment report that the contract said he would provide because the contract said I had 35 days to review.  He told me the documentation he provided was a phase I and it released me from all liability.  I knew this was not the case and emailed the company that performed the UST closure report and asked if they had ever done a phase one on the property with the seller CC'd.  The company replied back that no, a phase I had never been done by them on this property.  I reply to the email asking for a quote for a phase I.  ($2300, which I find pretty reasonable).  The seller calls me on the phone and tells me that they must have lost the report, everything is OK, talking to them more would "open up a can of worms" etc....

I called up the environmental testing folks and chatted a bit.  They feel that since they did the job, they're pretty confident that everything is OK, but they would still most likely do soil sampling after the phase I to confirm at a cost of $8k-$9k.  I also found this price reasonable.  I had the same conversation with a different company, and they recommended the same testing.

At this point, I'm upset at the seller because he's not paying for the phase I that was agreed upon in the contract.  We really want this guy out of our lives, so my wife and I agree that we'd offer to pay for phase I and soil testing out of our own pockets.  Friday we were having an appraisal done on the property for the bank loan so we were all onsite.  I kept trying to explain to the seller that he did not give us a phase I as agreed upon in our contract.  I concede that maybe there was a misunderstanding, but my wife and I need a phase I to make an educated purchase, so we will pay for it out of our own pockets.  He gets angry and says if we do that the deal is off, and I have 72 hours to think about it.  I tell him I'm not buying without a phase I and he has 72 hours to think about it.  After that, we both walked away angry.  He calls me about an hour later and tries to convince me the reports he provided were OK.  I tell him to call my attorney.  I took a 20-minute walk to cool off and return to voicemails from the seller and my attorney.  Talk to my attorney who said the seller kept talking in circles and tried to explain environmental legal liabilities, my attorney.  My attorney said the conversation was "half confusing and half futile".  I called the seller back and got his voicemail so I left a message for him to contact my attorney and haven't heard from him since.

I'm really angry at this point, since I'm already several thousand dollers into this between appraisails and consulting from my attorney, not to mention the time applying for financing, etc....

We still really want to buy the property, but there's no way we're doing it without the legal protections of a phase I.  Has anyone else had an experience like this?  Any advice?  Since the seller is also acting like a broker, I wonder if there's any ethics issues with a broker trying to prevent a buyer from performing due diligence?

Loading replies...