Skip to content
Commercial Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Michael O.
  • Investor
  • Bergen County , NJ
Votes |
Seasoned MF investors lend me your eyes.

Michael O.
  • Investor
  • Bergen County , NJ
Posted Feb 6 2018, 06:57

Looking to get into my first MF property. It would be an out of state investment for me. 24 unit asking 850k

Concerns

-The area doesn't seem to be the greatest. Although broker claims in the path of progress. 

-Price per unit is on the high side along with rent for the area

-It seems to be managed well low occupancy rate, however there are many like units that have been on the market for a long time (zillow) .

Please see financials below, these are not Proforma rather actual..

User Stats

Votes
Matt Clarke
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Tulsa, OK
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Tulsa, OK
Replied Feb 6 2018, 07:18

Looks like 95% occupancy. Scheduled 151k, 143k effective rents. 

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Johnson
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Encinitas, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Encinitas, CA
Replied Feb 6 2018, 07:40

Michael O. So “Current” is the T12 for 2017 or is “Current” an extrapolation based on a single static month? 5% vacancy is low but not unreasonable. I’d use 8% but that’s just me. The PM expense also looks a teenie bit low, I’d use 10% there but it’s a moot point if you have an 8% PM lined up. And insurance is going to drop by 25% next year? Why?

For what it’s worth, I’d never trust a listing broker to tell me if something was in the “path of progress”. I mean, really, do many of them say: “No, the path of progress is the other way and this will be less and less desirable every year for the next 30 years.”

And the obvious stuff like cap-ex is missing. When you’re dealing with commercial multi you will have some “constant” cap-ex expenses every year. Some unit (unless it’s a new build) will need new flooring, have an appliance die, need a new counter-top, etc. It’s helpful for older properties to look at (if possible) cap-ex expenses as it won’t change your NOI or cap-rate but will impact your cash-flow.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Michael O.
  • Investor
  • Bergen County , NJ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bergen County , NJ
Replied Feb 6 2018, 09:41

Thanks guys, property went under contract today near ask price.