Triple net lease/ selling business/ lease guarantee

3 Replies

I’m an owner of a small business in woodbury mn. I have a deal to sell the business after 4 yrs of good standing in the space. In order to get the lease I had to sign a lease guarantee which expires 2021. In order to get out of the lease I am told I need to find a new guarantor. I found a candidate that appears qualified (did a financial background check). But no response from the land lord after 4 months of repeated calls. This transfer is holding up the process as the owners won’t respond. Question: in minnesota, can the owners require a lease guarantor? Upon sale of a business, can the owners hold the original lease guarantor if a suitable transferee was found? Can anyone recommend a lawyer in Minn to advise me? ThankS.

Read your lease. typically, the LL has a certain number of days to respond to disapprove, otherwise it is deemed approved. Owner can require anything he wants, not a violation of law to require financial guarantor. Yes, original guarantor is liable until released.

Will see if I know some RE attorney there.

Thanks for the lead John. Th day I posted my manager approved the lease transfer! On to the sale.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here