Votes
Tyler Morrison
  • Winooski, VT
Votes |
Self Storage expansion

Tyler Morrison
  • Winooski, VT
Posted Apr 2 2018, 17:25

Hi, I'm Tyler Morrison and I own and operate a moving business in Winooski VT.  I have been trying to purchase real estate for the past year.  I recently found a great duplex with a attached trailer lot for sale about 1 hour away from me.  It cash flows great (12-18%).  Rent is well over the 1% rule, $1.3K/mo on a $60k house, overall a great investment.  I even have a partner willing and ready to split the commercial loan down payment with me.  In short, I really want to purchase this ideal starter investment property but am a little worried about tying up 90% of my capital in a project while I'm self employed.

On the other hand, I have been doing some research and know that self storage is a overall great return.  I believe I read that the average self storage facility returns 18% cash flow on average and there are a lot of bad managers in this business.  The self storage facility fits in great with my moving businesses business plan.  I have networked with a ton of storage managers and owners in my market and they are all full to capacity or near it.  Recently my team unloaded a 5x5 unit and when I spoke with the on site manager of this 600 unit complex he had 1 open unit, the one my team and I just unloaded, 100% capacity and its no the busy season yet.  I don't personally have the cash to build a storage facility and am currently working on a pitch deck for investors.  Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how I should go about pitching my businesses expansion opportunity to potential investors?  

I would like purchase the small investment property and partner with a hard money lender, VC or a wealthy partner with good enough credit to get a loan for $1m+ for building the commercial self storage facility.  Let me know what you think on this overall plan or if I should focus on time task at a time, remember I have a entire business to run on top of any real estate investing projects.

Loading replies...