Looking for Ideas for a vacant warehouse property in Texas

21 Replies

My family owns a 15,000 sq/ft warehouse on 1.5 acres outside of New Braunfels TX and it is sitting mostly empty (used as personal storage by my dad).  It is on a high traffic road and it does have a bar/restaurant area in the front but I am looking for ideas as to what we could do with this building.  We are in an unincorporated area so the restrictions are pretty minimal.  I appreciate any thoughts.

@James Walker it all depends on the area and  the demand drivers.

A few ideas:

Brewery, distillery, cidery, meadery etc.

Office style Co-working space

Industrial co-working space for artisans, artists and craftsmen 

Farmers market with fresh meats, cheeses produce.

Antique or small furniture 

Divide up into smaller office warehouse units.

Originally posted by @James Walker :

My family owns a 15,000 sq/ft warehouse on 1.5 acres outside of New Braunfels TX and it is sitting mostly empty (used as personal storage by my dad).  It is on a high traffic road and it does have a bar/restaurant area in the front but I am looking for ideas as to what we could do with this building.  We are in an unincorporated area so the restrictions are pretty minimal.  I appreciate any thoughts.

When I was working the area down there I had to drive over 20 miles to get a storage unit. All those close to the city were filled to capacity. Does that give you any ideas?

If it's relaticely clear span and ready for conversion, storage can be done insanely cheap relative to the rent you can command. I don't know your market but even in the most rural markets you can rent for $6 per square foot per year. Given that cost to convert would likely be in the $10-12 per square foot range, it's a pretty healthy ROI. Of course you will want to assess supply and demand in the market and you will lose roughly 20-25% of your square footage to common areas/hallways.

Mike

I see a lot of votes for self storage, but since I live near by, I'd like to see an old school dance hall / live music venue. There is a lot of potential if you could provide multiple types of music.

Mike Castellow,  I think Storage is the most likely route but it is interesting that you say that about a dance hall.  My dad has been talking about that for years.  My concern with that is two fold.  1. Parking is limited since we are only on a total of 1.5 acres of which 1 acre is available to park on.  2. I am concerned we are a little too far out of the way to be the draw we would want to be.  I would be interested in looking into this more though.

Originally posted by @James Walker :

Mike Castellow,  I think Storage is the most likely route but it is interesting that you say that about a dance hall.  My dad has been talking about that for years.  My concern with that is two fold.  1. Parking is limited since we are only on a total of 1.5 acres of which 1 acre is available to park on.  2. I am concerned we are a little too far out of the way to be the draw we would want to be.  I would be interested in looking into this more though.

What are neighboring uses? Rent parking if youre busy.

I think dance halls draw a very large crowd, Friday or Saturday night 30-50 minute drive is fine.

It is surrounded by a 43 acre agricultural field so the potential is there to rent parking space as well.  I am going to meet with a friend who manages a bar and discuss it with him.  I still know nothing about running a Dance Hall but it does sound like an adventure so I guess I will look into it some more.  If anyone has any additional ideas about the dance hall or anything else I am all ears.  The building itself is at 8015 FM 725, McQueeney, TX 78123 if anyone is curious about Google mapping it.

@James Walker

Indoor car show

Monthly antique and craft market

Monthly rent some of it for permanent flea market booth

Indoor car, boat, rv storage

RC car tracks dirt and drift?

Indoor drone flying classes

Pet shop and play area for kids while parents shop

Some apartments

Actual car drift track?

Not sure. But it sounds like a combination of things could work

@James Walker I grew up in old Dance Halls working with bands and have always loved live music. I don't know as many people as I used too, but I do know a few people that might be able to help you if you're really interested.

I wouldn't with about the distance, because I know that Texas State runs party buses to Austin and San Antonio so I know that you're not too far out of the way.

@James Walker wow, what a cool property. You’ve already gotten some good ideas for potential use. Here’s another random one. A co-worker of mine is starting a non-profit focused on senior and youth enrichment/activity programs. He’s tied in with the AARP who eagerly wants to serve the area—in a big way.

My co-worker is focused on Cibolo (for now), however can not find a space the suits his needs in the city. I passed the address of your property to him. If interested, I’m happy to facilitate an introduction.

Thanks in advance!

-Andrew

You don't have much restriction on what is physically or legally possible. So focus on what makes the most money, in your highest and best use analysis. Because that is the analysis you need to do.

Andrew K., That sounds really cool and would be a great opportunity.  I am worried that it is a bit too far away from that area to serve it very well but I would be willing to have that conversation before ruling it out.

I work with Commercial and Residential properties;

. Used Car Sales almost always has the highest rental value especially on high traffic roads.
. Used Car Storage Lot . I have a client who charges 100 dollars per month per licenced car to store classic cars in a roadside building. No sales take place on the property . It's just a place for people to look at the cars, then work directly with the client off site

Indoor RV and boat storage - easy conversion and your location on the way to Canyon Lake would be ideal.

Talk to all the data storage companies in Austin and San Antonio about space for server farms. Rackspace has corporate offices and data centers in both towns.

@Brian Van Pelt genious. I've been combing over the paperwork to get a dealer's liscense but i HATE dealing with all the CL scammers and lowballing customers. I don't have any idea how i didnt even consider just charging a flat rate fee and only dealing with the sellers. But i am glad you mentioned it. Thank you!

Its hard to tell without doing a market analysis. The highest and best use is dependent upon a good market analysis. A used car lot sounds very promising though. A dance hall sounds fun. But who knows?? I WISH that I could tell the highest and best use for a property based upon a description from afar... : ) That sure would save me alot of time.