Commercial Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
John Pu
Votes |
Commercial Property Due Diligence

John Pu
Posted Jun 29 2019, 20:54

Hi everyone! Glad to be part of Bigger Pockets community and I am looking for some help on my first potential commercial real estate deal.

I am looking to acquire a shopping center that is profitable but not in best of shape with some differed maintenance in the common areas (parking lot and landscaping primarily). The center does not currently have any major chains in it and have a couple larger spaces 10-20K sq ft) with potential to have some medium sized retail chain possibly (drug stores, dollar stores, or even auto parts stores). It is only about half rented now and brings in about just north of six figure NOI so I believe it has a lot of potential by increasing the occupancy rate and taking care of the maintenance items which will allow for rent increases down the road. I have the following questions I would appreciate some feedback on:

What is the typical due diligence process you would need to do?

Does the property command a lesser cap rate if it does not have a big name chain?

How much of a discount should I expect due to the deferred maintenance needed which is significant ?

What is the process of getting a big chain to come to a property and how long should I expect it potentially could take?

The owner is willing to do owner financing but with about 30% down. I think this would be about the same as a commercial loan. What are the advantages of taking the owner financing vs. getting my own loan?

What is the typical cap rate for retail shopping centers that you are seeing in the market place now?

Thank you in advance for your help! And Of course any other advice would be appreciated!

John

Loading replies...