RV Storage security and management

8 Replies

Hi,

for everyone who owns an RV/ boat storage, do you have an on-site manager or security guard 24/7? I have vacant land that I want to turn into an RV storage, however, I just don't know about the security guard. If I pay security guards with three shifts, the salary will take a big portion of my operation expense. But I also want 24/7 access.

is there any way to allow people to have 24/7 access but don't have people on-site 24/7?

Originally posted by @John Lenhart :

Put up a fence with an electric gate. Put in a few lights and add some security cameras and you can run it remote. 

We had homeless problem on the lot before (it is located near Los Angeles, by simply put gate,light, and camera, is it enough? 

I don’t know the area. However, most self storage contracts are store at your own risk and even if someone Has something stolen or damaged, you will not be liable. He will want to have an attorney prepare you the storage contract.

@Lea Hong This is very typical in self storage where fence, automated gate with keypad, CCTV and good lighting is used by so many operators to run the sites 100% remote! I have heard some creative soul to even allow police to train in their facility with K-9 units to keep miscreants off premise (even for multi family in Richmond, VA if I remember on one of the podcasts).

@Ronak Shah oh wow that's very cool and smart. 

The person who came up with the RV storage plan wanted to have a 24/7 security guard, which is a huge expense because I also need to provide the person a place to live. 

At all of our facilities the police have gate codes and they will do patrols through it on a regular basis. Furthermore, if you contracted with a private security company they can also do patrols through there on a regular basis to monitor the site. 

@LEA

Some basic questions:

1.  Do you have an i phone?  Security systems now can send messages to your phone.  Gate opening; motion between the hours of 10pm to 8 am; Size of motion- cat, dog, person- you can adjust the sensitivity; you can view all cameras on your phone at 3 am in the morning for example.

2.  Do you have a job where you can stop and take a phone call or not?  Your gate opening. If you can't take phone calls for lost codes or fobs, then just do a push button in and out.  The purpose is to stop them in a specific location for a facial camera.  Also in front or back you want a special License plate camera.  These can see through headlights and taillights.  Even the best security cameras can't do that, has to be a special License plate camera.

3.  How far away do you live from the site, minutes?  With the system above, this dictates whether you call law Enforcement or not.  Also you will want a concealed carry gun license, if your going to check at 2 am in the morning, along with your small dog.  If you keep calling the police they will either charge $$$ you for the false alarms or won't come.

4.  How much income at 90% occupancy do you plan to generate?  You need a room to put the camera and NVR system there.  Just a basic system with two license plate cameras and two facial cameras and about 20 normal cameras will be about $25,000 installed.  Pick a system that shows "orange" during motion time frames so you can go to the time, versus looking through 24 hours.  Also when you set your cameras for frames per second, put more at the gate and less in the field.  Don't do 100% recording.  This will get you a better picture where you want it.

Your automated gate system will be about $25,000.  Fence around 2 acres is about $25,000.  Paving, rock or concrete parking?????.  Electrical $7,000;  Night Lights LED on Poles $5,000; 

Take some stakes and string out and line out your property.  Drive your vehicle and an RV or camper around and park.  Determine pricing.

Make sure you have enough revenue before you start the project.  If you don't do the above costs, you will have an RV spot where everything gets broken into.  Rv's are easy to break into.  Your business will go down.  Good luck