Commercial loans - Less than 20% downpayment?

5 Replies

I've heard on the BP Rookie podcast a few discussions about commercial loans with downpayments less than 20%. What are the caveats? Must be an LLC business? Only special types of loans? Any resources, experience, perspective that anyone can share would be greatly appreciated.

Typically the loan has to be held under an LLC and the property must be an add value situation. The better the deal the better chance of having a smaller down payment. From what I can see being new and not having any on paper experience with flipping or brrring decent credit will go a long way. Remember even though the down payment will be small most lenders want to see funds on top of the down payment. The 3 C's of hard money - Cash- Collateral- Credit

Originally posted by @Matthew Crivelli :

Typically the loan has to be held under an LLC and the property must be an add value situation. The better the deal the better chance of having a smaller down payment. From what I can see being new and not having any on paper experience with flipping or brrring decent credit will go a long way. Remember even though the down payment will be small most lenders want to see funds on top of the down payment. The 3 C's of hard money - Cash- Collateral- Credit

Thanks Matthew.  

In your experience, what percent downpayments have you seen?  Just curious, I understand there would be variability.  

Regarding credit, is it the credit of an individual? or of the LLC entity? (not sure if that is even a thing).

Appreciate the response!

This is what I thought.  Except when I listen to Real Estate Rookie podcasts, Ashley Kehr repeatedly mentions these low downpayment commercial loans.  I asked her to explain.  No response. Not surprising.  Hey Ashley! what's the story with these?!