Fannie Mae sells house way too cheap!

Fannie Mae sells house way too cheap!

Gainesville, FL · Member since 2013 · 127 posts · 21 votes

Please help me to understand. This is a small college town with stable and somewhat rising prices. Fannie Mae listed a house about 90 days ago for $133,000. That was high for the nice planned development where the house is, and about 7 weeks later they dropped the price to $125,000. That was a reasonable price if the house was in good shape, but the house needed new appliances, a new sink disposal, a few plumbing fixtures, and repairs to the A/C. They had painted the interior and installed new carpet, so only the garage interior needed to be painted. Otherwise it was good. It might have needed $10,000 to $12,000 worth of replacements/repairs, including the minor things, payment of delinquent HOA dues, etc.

When the price was dropped to $125,000--again, a fair price for a house in good shape--I thought it was probably too soon to make an offer, thinking that Fannie Mae would probably not take an offer of $12,000 less than that price (and I didn't want to part with the 10% down payment required from cash buyers, if it was likely that I'd have to try to get it back later). I thought they'd drop the price again if they still couldn't sell it.

There were no further price drops, but today I learned that the house was just sold for $85,000, an unbelievably low price for the neighborhood. So naturally I am wondering what might have happened! I am quite sure the condition of the house did not justify the low price, since I own two similar houses in the same planned development and am familiar with their quirks. Has anyone seen anything like this before? Conspiracy theories are welcome!

0Reply
17 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    13y

    That is a perfectly reasonable price for a property needing repairs. Look up the 70% rule here.

    It probably needed more repairs than a homeowner would want to do so an investor bought it. Because of transaction costs, investors need to buy at 70 cents on the dollar or less often much less.

    Based on a $125K value in good shape the buyer may have actually over paid.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    13y

    Sounds like someone else felt like they could put the 10% down as long as Fannie accepted their low bid which seems what happened.

    From what you said you were not comfortable doing that at the higher price you were offering.

    You never know how low a seller will sell until you ask.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Maybe a lot of investors were waiting for the price to drop and this was the only one who made an actual offer? You never know until you try

  • Suwanee, GA · Member since 2013 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    The longer a foreclosure is on the market, the lower the banks will take for it. I look at it like fruit, ripening on the vine. The longer is sits, the sweeter the deal you can make.

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Kay March

    Could not agree more with @Matt Wagner , we just got an reo that had been on the market 146 days, an extra-ordinary long time imho.

    There is feeling among investors to jump on a property the first day that it is on the market. Another property I recently looked at had 12 offers the first day, none from me however and it sold for 50% over asking price, cash. I think the buyer might have overpaid. otoh the one I got this week was about 67% less than the last sale price and about 30% less than asking price.

    I think that a great strategy is to look at property that has been on the market for 100+ days. There are some deals to be had in that sector.... and you can take that to the bank, literally.

  • Investor · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 684 votes
    12y

    Kay, there could be a lot of things that happened. The property could have liens that got negotiated during closing and bank lowered the price versus paying for it. It could have a bad foundation, etc.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @David Krulac , you're a genius! I like your strategy of looking for properties listed in the MLS for 100+ days. Come to think of it, 2 months ago, I got a property under contract that fits that exact situation. I might as well make that one of my requirements.Thanks for sharing David!

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Wendell De Guzman

    Your welcome. That is just one of many strategies, but we apply it to not only MLS properties but also REO, or even FSBO. If the property has been on the market for more than 100 days, the seller is probably frustrated that the property has not sold.

    In the case of HUD reos, they drop the price 10% every 30 days, and seldom do they have a property over 100 days as a result. but every now and then there is even a HUD with over 100 DOM

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.