Foreclosures

User Stats

Votes
Robert Alexis
Votes |
Urgent, possible loophole to save my earnest money

Robert Alexis
Posted Nov 2 2022, 16:07

I placed an offer on a bank owned foreclosure that was accepted 9 days ago and am currently under a fully executed contract. We discovered a leak in the roof that will significantly increase rehab cost, making my HM Loan monthly payment too high to proceed.

I found wording in the contract that may allow me to walk away from the deal while keeping my 25k earnest money, but my attorney isn’t confident.

The inspection contingency states the “purchaser may inspect OR secure an inspection report of the property 5 days from the seller acceptance date”. Then the purchaser has 10 days from the acceptance date or 3 days from receiving an inspection report (whichever happens sooner) to provide written notice of disapproved items, after which, seller may request a copy of inspection reports supporting the claim of disapproved items . Then seller can decide to repair, reduce purchase price, or terminate agreement.

My question is, if I have my lawyer submit a written notice tomorrow (on the 10 day deadline) claiming that I as the purchase inspected the property within the 5 day requirement from the acceptance date, can I then use an official inspection report that was provided on the 10th day as my supporting evidence, even though the “official” inspection took place after the 5 day deadline?

I’m otherwise at risk of losing 25k earnest deposit

Loading replies...