Can I tie up a short-sale property while I wait for it to foreclose?
A client (buyer) came to me interested in a listed house in the pre-foreclosure process. The listing agent is not local and doesn't impress me as being able to get a short sale done as there are 4 trust deeds on the property.
The owner of record vacated the home a year ago and will probably accept any offer, as is typical in a short-sale as they will not get any money from the transaction.
Moreover, today, I just had the county recorder change the legal description to reflect the right-of-way easement established when the stated transferred the land to the municipality in the 1880's. (I just found out that the piece of land that looks a lot like the house's driveway is technically a city street and not properly reflected on the plat)
My client is in no hurry. In my opinion, his best bet is to wait for foreclosure, get clean title, then negotiate with the bank when we show them that the house doesn't have a driveway.
So I have two questions:
1) If I get the house under contract with the titled owner (at a price my client would take) how might it affect the foreclosure process which I foresee as our only realistic goal? I'm not too worried that a third party will come in and pick up this prop, but would like to throw a big monkey wrench into that possibility if I could. I've had contracts on houses that were foreclosed on while waiting for third party approval, but this was a while ago.
2) Is there any way to influence the opening bid at foreclosure (in favor of US Bank) or is there any possibility of buying the note (also at a discount) and have my client foreclose?
Thanks!
.Wm