Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Foreclosures
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Stephen D.
  • Investor
  • Lake Zurich, IL
Votes |
Researching foreclosures efficiently - Holy Grail?

Stephen D.
  • Investor
  • Lake Zurich, IL
Posted

In our county, the foreclosure amount (opening bid) for any property going up for auction is generally available after 5PM on the day before the auction.  So if the property is going up for auction on August 8th, the opening bid will be available on August 7th, after 5PM.  

The problem is that in many cases there are a lot of properties going up for auction that have a high starting bid amount (generally low or negative equity for my target market) and I have no interest in bidding on those properties but since I don't know the starting bid, I can't eliminate them from my research until the night before the auction.  Had I known the starting bid ahead of time, I would have eliminated them from my 'to research' list a long time ago.  Not to mention auctions that are cancelled or where the dates are changed but I don't think I can do a whole lot about those types of issues.  County offers a limited amount of documents for online viewing but the problem with the electronic research is that generally the information is incomplete and sometimes clearly wrong.  

So let's say all the stars are aligned and a property that I've researched ahead of time has a starting bid amount that's in my price range but then I want to have a look at the actual case before bidding so I run over to the Recorder's office to review (opens at 8:30AM) the full documentation (since I already know that the electronic search is incomplete) and then run over to the Sheriff's office for the auction which happens to start at 9AM.  So I basically have 15 minutes to scan the documentation.

So now the scary part - since the electronic search is incomplete and I barely had 15 mins to look at the actual documentation, I'm bidding on properties with limited information.  Understand that perfect access to information would be nice but not sure if that's a possibility.

Yes, I could go to the recorder's office, bite the bullet and do the research on all the properties ahead of time but have a full-time 9-5 job so can't do that either...

There has to be a better way to do this and am looking for ideas/suggestions on what others do to (a) eliminate properties with low equity from their research list and (b) have enough time to review the actual court documents before bidding on the auction while keeping a 9-5 job.

TIA

Loading replies...