• Contractor
  • Hudson, NH
Votes |
Hiring the Right Contractors

Dan Carignan
  • Contractor
  • Hudson, NH
Posted Oct 18 2014, 17:46

How do you hire the right contractors to get the job done!

User Stats

Votes
Karen Margrave
  • Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer
  • Redding, CA & Bend OR
Votes |
  • Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer
  • Redding, CA & Bend OR
ModeratorReplied Oct 18 2014, 17:49

@Dan Carignan Ask friends who they use, or real estate agents, etc. Be sure to check license status, insurance and bond.  (most states have that information online)

Get references. Ask if they have any pics of jobs completed, etc. You want do know if they came in on time, and within budget, etc. 

User Stats

Votes
Clay Smith
  • Property Manager
  • Louisville, KY
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Louisville, KY
Replied Nov 14 2014, 19:55

I train them. I tell them up front. We pay check not cash. I take a picture of driver license. I obtain address if different. We determine a hourly rate before work begins. I hand them time cards from office supply store. I have them send picture and leave time card slip onsite every Thursday. I mail checks Friday. No advances or payday drop offs. Must take lunch, it is required (by me) so don't bill me. Never pay a day ahead. Never loan money. Never drop off checks early Friday, only ever drop off checks late if you want more work done; they will leave early. Tell them "good job" often. Don't start off w/o a 1099, otherwise you will have to pay more per hr when you convert them later. I don't do bids, only time & cost. Get a big box store account so you can approve purchases from a distance. Praise in public, care-front them In private. Do not rent to them unless they are full time with you. If they lie about hours, stand up for yourself and refuse to use them. I get all my workers through referral. Facebook, Realtors, investors, REIA members (check sponsor adds), if all else fails...YELP reviews.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Miller
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Fort Wayne, IN
Votes |
  • Fort Wayne, IN
Replied Nov 14 2014, 20:16

Understand that dependability normally requires a backlog and a pay premium.  I have hired great workers who lack the ability to self manage but they cost a fraction of the price of a "good contractor".  If I don't have the time to babysit or micromanage I pay the big bucks and go with the "good contractors"...  If cash is shy and I don't have many obligations an add on Craigslist for a day laborer at $10 $8 an hour seems to be extremely effective.

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Miller
  • Fort Wayne, IN
Votes |
  • Fort Wayne, IN
Replied Nov 14 2014, 20:19

Oh, the good contractors come from your network of other investors...  they never advertise because they are always backlogged because of word of mouth.  If you cannot find good workers find a better network of other investors.