@Rachel Zhang you need to call back and ask to speak for a supervisor. Once you get to someone, get an email address or fax number and a mailing address and then send that person a letter. Here is a copy of the letter I use. Attach a copy of your deed and a copy of the civil code sections I listed (which can be downloaded off the web).
I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice. Use this at your own risk. The dollar amount of the fees may be different so be sure to look that up (it's been a few years since I researched that). By the way, it worked, I got what I wanted right away. Good luck.
Copy/paste with names changed to protect the innocent:
XXXXXXXX Bank
ATTN Wendy (Customer Service supervisor)
VIA FACSIMILE
Wendy,
Thank you for taking the time to speak with me regarding my request for information on the loan secured to property owned by my company. Per our conversation, I am enclosing additional proof of ownership to the property.
Our company recently purchased the property located at 123 Main St, Anytown CA 12345. This property is encumbered by a first deed of trust in favor of XXXXXXXXX Bank as beneficiary. The original trustor is John A Doe, loan number is 1234567890.
We purchased this property at a trustee's sale (foreclosure sale) held pursuant to a junior deed of trust, as evidenced by the enclosed Trustee's Deed Upon Sale. The enclosed deed serves as proof of our ownership of the property. I have also enclosed an LLC-1 form that was filed with the California Secretary of State. This form provides evidence of the principal officer of our company.
This letter is to serve as a formal written request pursuant to §2943 of the California Civil Code. We are requesting the following information:
1. The unpaid balance of the loan
2. The amount of the periodic payments
3. The date the note is due in whole or in part
4. Information on tax/insurance impound account, if any, including tax and insurance payments made
5. A copy of the note and deed of trust evidencing this loan
I gather from our previous conversations that there may be a lack of clarity as to what information I am entitled to, how to prove my entitlement, and what I may be charged for the information I am requesting. For your convenience and reference, I have included with this fax the text of §2943 of the California Civil Code, and have highlighted some of the relevant passages within. The following is also a summary of the section:
“A beneficiary shall, within 21 days of the receipt of a written demand by an entitled person…, prepare and deliver to the person demanding…a beneficiary statement” (CC §2943(b)(1)). A beneficiary statement includes by definition the information we have requested above (CC §2943(a)(2) et seq.).
As purchasers of this property, we are entitled to this information upon presentation of proof of ownership. A copy of the deed shall constitute reasonable proof as to the identity of the successor in interest to the trustor (CC §2943(e)(3)). An Entitled Person includes the Trustor, “or his or her successor in interest in…the…property” (CC §2943(a)(4)).
You discussed fees related to this request. The beneficiary may make a charge not to exceed thirty dollars ($30) for furnishing each required statement (CC §2943(e)(6)). The copy of the deed of trust “shall be furnished with the written statement at no additional charge” (CC §2943(e)(2)). Items 1 through 5 of my request comprise one statement (CC §2943(a)(2) (A) through (H)), thus the maximum fee allowable by law is $30.00.
Please forward the requested information via fax to (888) 555-1212, or by US Mail to: PO Box 1234, Anytown, CA 12345. Please call me at (888) 555-2121 to confirm receipt of this fax, your intentions, and to make payment arrangements for the fee, if any. If I don’t hear from you by tomorrow (6/2/15) I will re-send this request through the mail, as required.
Thank you for your time, attention, and courtesy in this regard.
Sincerely,