Sheriff's Sale property: Judgement amount significantly higher than Liens

Sheriff's Sale property: Judgement amount significantly higher than Liens

Investor · whippany, NJ · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 0 votes

All,

I'm planning on bidding on a property at Sheriff's sale in September that has the following liens:

$540,000 senior mortgage

$21,000 unpaid municipal taxes.  There were several other tax sale liens, second mortgages, and a federal lien, and all were paid off/discharged.  

However, the judgement/upset amount published in the sheriff's website is $853,000, and the judgement posted in the newspaper is higher at $990,000 - significantly higher than the open obligations I found.

I've done a thorough job about checking the title at the county clerk's and statewide judgment database.

What could I be missing here?  I'm worried that I'll be stuck with some other lien.  I know this guy had been in federal court years ago, and had significant fines to pay.

Is there a Federal lien system I can check?

I'm assuming I should be able to find all liens that total close to the upset/judgement amount.

Any help is appreciated!

cheers

0Reply
20 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor, flipper Boynton Beach, FL · Member since 2015 · 23 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    what about water lien? some cities or counties come attach to the house not to the owner and in one of my deals surprise me with 3000k to the city for a water lien.

  • Investor, flipper Boynton Beach, FL · Member since 2015 · 23 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    check the county clerk official records look under the owner's name and filter by legal description. 

  • Investor · whippany, NJ · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Thanks Zulma - I have municipal charges covered.

    In fact, I figured out the difference in the mortgage note vs. the final judgement - all interest.  The note was accruing at 7.25% for 7 years + tax and legal expenses.

    Problem solved,

    thanks

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.