Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Foreclosures
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Brad Noe
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Louisville, KY
Votes |
Help Analyzing My First Foreclosure

Brad Noe
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Louisville, KY
Posted

So here is my situation and I just need someone from out there from the wonderful BP community (you're my hero @Brandon Turner) if possible, because this admittedly IS my first rodeo:

- I've been watching the MLS in this area daily for the past 6 months, so I know market well, but this is my first foreclosure I have seen that really piqued my interest. 3 bed/2 bath 1,200 sqft w/ unfinished basement and large backyard.

- Good bones, good neighborhood. Owner took off with his new girlfriend about a year and a half ago and it has been vacant ever since. Just released onto the foreclosure market yesterday. 

- Power was out for an extended amount of time which caused the sump pump to back up and flood the basement about 6-10 inches but it appears that Fannie Mae went in and cleaned everything up after getting the power restored. It is a big basement and only one corner of it is drywall/wood panel, the rest of it is concrete which they cleaned and painted already.

- Upstairs has some mold on the walls but the stench was not overwhelming and it appeared that we would just need to clean and paint.

- Listed at $40,000 and there have already been a few other investors in to take a look today.

- I am no expert on rehab, but here is my best try:

- Upstairs: clean/paint walls, paint cabinets, remove carpet in living room & refinish hardwood: $10,000; new window trim: $500

- Basement: minor mold remediation: $1,500

- Exterior: damage to wood panels above front porch: $500; landscaping: $1,500

- CapEx: roof: $8,000; furnace: $3,000

- Appliances: refrigerator: $800; microwave: $200; dishwasher: $400; W&D: $600

- Miscellaneous: clean-up, etc: $3,000

- Total: $30,000

Now, let's say I pay full price at $40,000 w/ 25% ($10,000) down. I found a great local mortgage lender that works with investors and loans money for rehab properties. That makes it about a $60,000 loan ($30 purchase, $30 rehab) with a potential $110,000+ ARV. That's a big payday for me if I chose to flip!

After repair it would rent for about $900-1,000 w/ a potentially $380 mortgage (projecting 5.5% interest). Using 50% rule, that may only yield ~$70-170 cash flow.

So my question is, as a new investor with a goal of building passive income, should I flip this home and roll the capital into future rental property investments given the apparently more favorable spread for the flip vs. the rental cash flow in this scenario? That is what I am leaning towards although my strategy has always been buy & hold to build passive income.

ALSO - is there anything anyone can spot that I might be missing in my numbers above? 

Lastly, are there any other considerations for buying a foreclosure that I need to take into consideration? I am doing some research on the process before I make an offer but thought I would throw it out to the forums to hear your expert insight as well.

Take a look at the pictures:

Thanks so much for anyone that may choose to read through this and engage me with some advice. I hope to have the opportunity to pay it forward 10X one day to the next generation of newbies!

Cheers,

Brad Noe

Loading replies...