Can’t turn on water for inspection on HUD home

Can’t turn on water for inspection on HUD home

Brookpark, OH · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes
I bid on HUD home and the offer was accepted I am scheduled to have an inspector come out this Thursday but I just received and email that we can’t turn on the water. On the PCR it says plumbing is damaged and sites a missing component the house will be insured escrow of 600. Does that mean whatever is wrong with plumbing will only cost 600? Does anyone know what that could be? The electric company said that the meter is there so they can test it through that, should I even get an inspection if I can’t turn on water or electric it just seems like a waste of money.
0Reply
40 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
8y

@Amanda McAndrews no, it will probably cost more. If the plumbing is 50 years or older and you plan on keeping the property for a long time (30 years or so) you should replace the plumbing with pex anyway. Talk to your local plumber, but around here plumbing lives for about 50 years, both water and waste pipes. After that you start seeing low pressure and more and more leaks. It is more economical to do it all at once.

Winterizing often leaves you with some cracked fittings or faucets in the basement, which are easy to replace, but the main goal is to preserve the water heater, toilets and the in wall plumbing from frost damage.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Consultant · Wittenberg, WI · Member since 2014 · 572 posts · 572 votes
    8y

    @Amanda McAndrews

    I have bought HUD homes over the years and their cost estimates don't mean anything. I live in Wisconsin where everything freezes up. HUD pays companies to winterize vacant homes and I have not gotten 1 yet that was properly done. You can have a plumber air test the plumbing lines to find broken or missing pieces but I would plan on more than a $600 bill.

    Good Luck

    Derek Dombeck

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 385 posts · 702 votes
    8y

    It probably is a waste of money, I don't know what kind of deal you got from Hud but make sure it is a low offer lol. I always offer assuming I have to repipe the entire house and once I had to. I was majorly bummed but since I had already priced it in I wasn't devastated just sad I didn't get lucky haha

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    @Amanda McAndrews no, it will probably cost more. If the plumbing is 50 years or older and you plan on keeping the property for a long time (30 years or so) you should replace the plumbing with pex anyway. Talk to your local plumber, but around here plumbing lives for about 50 years, both water and waste pipes. After that you start seeing low pressure and more and more leaks. It is more economical to do it all at once.

    Winterizing often leaves you with some cracked fittings or faucets in the basement, which are easy to replace, but the main goal is to preserve the water heater, toilets and the in wall plumbing from frost damage.

  • Rental Property Investor · West Bend, WI · Member since 2015 · 931 posts · 598 votes
    8y

    PCR is nothing more than an idea of whats going on, the service company does them, and many times the contractors are idiots, if you have to turn everything on when purchasing one, to feel comfortable, the deal isnt good enough, it could range from a missing water filter, or several split pipes, to a bad fill valve or cracked toilet tank, if you really need to know, air test it, if you dont know how to do that, you probably shouldnt be looking at these properties. i havent hired an inspector in over 15 years, they are a waste of money for me, but I know construction and systems, the bast thing an investor can do is learn construction and the trades, at least enough to know what you are looking at and whats ok, and whats not, even is you dont do any work. sorry to be harsh, but knowing this stuff separates the men from the boys.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y
    Use a generator for electric
  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 353 posts · 223 votes
    8y

    Test the lines with air as said before.  It will let you know if/where the leak is coming from so you can get an idea on how bad it is.  I made a tester on my own that connects to my air compressor from parts at the hardware store but I believe you may be able to find one online.  

    You could always find an inspector that offers this service too.  

    If there is a component missing (fixture) there really will not be a good way to test the system unless you can shut off the supply line to it and prevent the air from escaping there.

  • Investor · Brookfield, WI · Member since 2015 · 42 posts · 8 votes
    8y
    Hope for the best, plan for the worst! The numbers you come up should expect for replacement of some/all of the plumbing. Don’t run from it, negotiate the issue and it may make you some extra cash if it’s not as bad as you plan.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.