My costs in buying a home in pre-foreclosure

My costs in buying a home in pre-foreclosure

Flipper/Rehabber · Temecula, CA · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 3 votes

Let me start with saying I'm really enjoying all the helpful information out in BiggerPockets land. I was wondering what costs are associated with buying a house in pre-foreclosure vs a house not in pre-foreclosure. If I'm buying the home, do I become responsible for the seller's default amount? Taxes? What other considerations am I missing?

0Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7y
Originally posted by @Ricky Knack:

Let me start with saying I'm really enjoying all the helpful information out in BiggerPockets land. I was wondering what costs are associated with buying a house in pre-foreclosure vs a house not in pre-foreclosure. If I'm buying the home, do I become responsible for the seller's default amount? Taxes? What other considerations am I missing?

 Buying a house in pre-foreclosure is tricky depending on the state you live in. In a couple of states it is actually illegal to solicit people who are in pre-foreclosure or in the foreclosure process. Ask a real estate attorney for the state you are considering.

But, here are some costs:

Unpaid principal

Arrears

legal fees of the pre-foreclosure

home owner's insurance

money to the seller for moving

money to the real estate agent if one is involved

title insurance

escrow

pre-paids

unpaid property taxes

unpaid 2nd loan if it exists

unpaid electric bills

unpaid water bills

unpaid gas bills

unpaid mechanics liens

unpaid fines for city violations

deferred roof maintenance

deferred maintenance in general

dumpster to get rid of everything left behind

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ricky Knack:

    Let me start with saying I'm really enjoying all the helpful information out in BiggerPockets land. I was wondering what costs are associated with buying a house in pre-foreclosure vs a house not in pre-foreclosure. If I'm buying the home, do I become responsible for the seller's default amount? Taxes? What other considerations am I missing?

     Buying a house in pre-foreclosure is tricky depending on the state you live in. In a couple of states it is actually illegal to solicit people who are in pre-foreclosure or in the foreclosure process. Ask a real estate attorney for the state you are considering.

    But, here are some costs:

    Unpaid principal

    Arrears

    legal fees of the pre-foreclosure

    home owner's insurance

    money to the seller for moving

    money to the real estate agent if one is involved

    title insurance

    escrow

    pre-paids

    unpaid property taxes

    unpaid 2nd loan if it exists

    unpaid electric bills

    unpaid water bills

    unpaid gas bills

    unpaid mechanics liens

    unpaid fines for city violations

    deferred roof maintenance

    deferred maintenance in general

    dumpster to get rid of everything left behind

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Temecula, CA · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Account Closed Thanks! 

    I'm planning on flipping in California. Had not heard that we'd be responsible for unpaid bills too... interesting. Certainly the principal on any loans, arrears (my boys would laugh at this... I kind of giggled truth be told), liens and money to the seller make sense. The rest seem like the usual fees/costs of buying and rehabbing. What do you mean by pre-paids? A lawyer is sounding more and more like a cost of business at this point 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Temecula, CA · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    For those counting in California (Riverside County at least), we would not be responsible for any utility bills that are unpaid prior to our assuming ownership unless there was a lien placed by the utilities on the title, in which case that would have to be cleared. Interesting... 

  • Specialist · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ricky Knack:

    @Account Closed Thanks! 

    I'm planning on flipping in California. Had not heard that we'd be responsible for unpaid bills too... interesting. Certainly the principal on any loans, arrears (my boys would laugh at this... I kind of giggled truth be told), liens and money to the seller make sense. The rest seem like the usual fees/costs of buying and rehabbing. What do you mean by pre-paids? A lawyer is sounding more and more like a cost of business at this point 

     If you use Hard Money you have your amount down, points, pre-paids (tax and insurance going forward), an appraisal, an inspection, their "junk fees", carrying costs and on and on. If you use your own cash you have risk but fewer fees.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    The costs are Exactly the same as buying any other property.....all debts and liens need to be paid off at closing along with your normal closing costs.  The rub comes in when the the seller owes More than what you are willing to pay for it.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Temecula, CA · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 3 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Wayne Brooks:

    The costs are Exactly the same as buying any other property.....all debts and liens need to be paid off at closing along with your normal closing costs.  The rub comes in when the the seller owes More than what you are willing to pay for it.

     I suppose I should clarify. In researching a property from afar, I'm coming up with things like amount of default and wasn't sure whether the seller or I were responsible for that from the drop. Or would it be something I would offer to the seller to take care of, or ??? I've seen liens and what have you and know we'd be responsible for clearing the title. Just wrapping my head around the, for lack of a better term, mechanics of it all. I imagine once I'm actually talking to the seller and delving deeper into a title search with my title company, I'd know the particular numbers for the deal, but trying to judge if I should even get to that point. 

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    @Ricky Knack Well, Someone is responsible for it.....typically your purchase price is enough to pay off All outstanding debts, and they simply paid from the seller’s proceeds at closing.  There are some circumstances where you could Willingly assume some particular debt, above and beyond the purchase price, if you thought you could perhaps negotiate it lower, after closing......but you normally pay just the purchase price along with some closing costs.

    But to your original question, buying a preforeclosure is the same as buying as any other house, cost and procedure wise.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.