Some Tips on How to do Auction Due Diligence In Florida

Some Tips on How to do Auction Due Diligence In Florida

Real Estate Consultant · 33033 · Member since 2018 · 65 posts · 23 votes

Due diligence is "scary" and time-consuming, I've seen people ask "how to do due diligence" so I thought I would share “my method” after 12+ years as a consultant.

I'll like to start by giving you my thoughts on what due diligence is and the true role it plays.

First, the obvious one, due diligence is necessary so you DO NOT LOSE YOUR INVESTMENT BY BUYING THE "WRONG" MORTGAGE.

With the heavy competition, high cancelation rate (60-67%) and so little time to go through thousands of potential investments knowing how to navigate this process will give you an edge.

So let us begin with prospecting our potential investment.

Understand that 60-67% of sales in Florida will be canceled, so let’s minimize the chances of spending time on "high-risk cancelations", so consider this:

  • Cases filed within the last 18 months have a higher risk of cancelation.
    • o The risk will increase if the property is homesteaded (original borrower lives in the property)
  • o The case is contested or litigated (contested=an answer was filed Litigated= Borrower is represented by an attorney or pro se files affirmative defenses, production is requested etc)
  • o The judgment amount is less than the estimated property value.

*These are just a few examples; of course, there are outliers and/or exceptions to every rule.

  1. So once I find a good prospect the very first thing I check is the court docket (the foreclosure case) check for any last-minute filings that will trigger a cancelation such as bankruptcy filings or motions to cancel the sale, if any of these are found I STOP and move on to my next “prospect”.

*Check the docket up until the morning of the sale for signs of cancelations.

  1. READ the complaint!
    • The complaint is a very good source of information on the history of the case, a full title search was done pre-foreclosure and reviewed by an attorney, the complaint will tell you “the story” of the mortgage been foreclosed, including position, interested parties, lien holders, etc.
  2. Write all interested parties, mortgages, and liens listed in the complaint.
  3. Verify the owner(s) of the property
    • Go to the county appraiser, tax collector and official records site (clerk of courts) make sure they all list the same owner
  4. If a discrepancy is found more research is needed
  5. Search for filled Mortgages.
    • Gather the chain of title from the property the appraiser and official records and do a name search for each person that held the title of the property and find the mortgages associated with those names.
  6. Search for Satisfaction of mortgages/release of mortgages, and assignment of mortgages
    • Using the names for each mortgage found, search in public records for the satisfaction of mortgages for each mortgage found.
  7. Any mortgage left without satisfaction is an “active lien” , in Florida the oldest recorded mortgage holds the superior position (Unless there is a subordination of mortgage recorded)

*MORTGAGE POSITION IS KEY….YOU WANT TO ACQUIRE A FIRST POSITION MORTGAGE!!!!.... I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH!!! ONLY IF YOU ARE AN EXPERIENCED INVESTOR WOULD YOU EVEN CONSIDER BUYING ANYTHING THAT IS NOT A FIRST POSITION MORTGAGE!!!

NOT IN FIRST POSITION? YOU STOP!!!!!

  1. Lien Search
    • Do a public records search by name for Liens, judgments, Lis Pend, etc
      • Match the liens found vs the defendants listed in the complaint if the liens are listed in the foreclosure case they will be “wiped” from the property title (HOA AND PROPERTY TAXES LIENS WILL SURVIVE THE FORECLOSURE PROCESS) Open the lien document and note the amount do the math and adjust your bid.
    • Most Violations and open permits will also survive the FORECLOSURE AGIN DO THE MATH AND ADJUST YOUR BID.

These are just a few things off the top of my head AGAIN there are outliers and other things to consider but I believe this will give you a good start to understanding the due diligence process.

I hope this helps in anyway…..AGAIN this is just a quick overview it is just intended for reference only!

BEST OF LUCK!

5Reply
81 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
7y

@Walter Holmes Good explanation, that’s how I do it.  But one additional tip....it’s rare, but occasionally a person’s name is misspelled in the recording, or they use a different first/middle name.  There is a function, at least on our official records site, to search by legal description instead of by name.  This is worth learning how to do, even though I must admit I usually just used the name search...and no surprises yet.

Also, not as prevalent now as years ago, but if the current owner acquired by QCD, check the previous owner’s name also....we used to see a lot of sub2’s with hanging mtgs/liens from the previous owner.

And of course, there can be hoa or code violation debts which remain without a recorded lien.

I still miss/liked the live auctions better.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    @Walter Holmes Good explanation, that’s how I do it.  But one additional tip....it’s rare, but occasionally a person’s name is misspelled in the recording, or they use a different first/middle name.  There is a function, at least on our official records site, to search by legal description instead of by name.  This is worth learning how to do, even though I must admit I usually just used the name search...and no surprises yet.

    Also, not as prevalent now as years ago, but if the current owner acquired by QCD, check the previous owner’s name also....we used to see a lot of sub2’s with hanging mtgs/liens from the previous owner.

    And of course, there can be hoa or code violation debts which remain without a recorded lien.

    I still miss/liked the live auctions better.

  • Real Estate Consultant · 33033 · Member since 2018 · 65 posts · 23 votes
    7y

    100% correct! Names are a nightmare sometimes. 

    The key is using several sources and matching them, hence i love using the complaint, defendants, property appraiser and tax collector site (to name the most popular) and THEN do your official records search and compare the results, this way it will minimize the chance of error. 

    Be creative, if your search name is Maria Gonzalez and you cant match the complaint, defendants, judgment , tax, or appraiser filter by dates, search MARIAH, OR gonsales, or gonzales .

    Due diligence its not as scary as people make it seem, keep in mind that there is a title search done before the case is started, then reviewed by an attorney,  then the title is updated before the hearing and once again before the sale.

    Great point Wayne!

  • Rental Property Investor · Olympia, WA · Member since 2012 · 543 posts · 311 votes
    7y

    @Walter Holmes,  Thanks!  Helpful and well said.

  • Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Walter Holmes

    This is a great summary, and is very similar to the DD we go through prior to buying a non-performing note from a bank or hedge fund.  Also, I generally find that the higher the property value, the more resources the borrower has to stay and fight the foreclosure.  

  • Real Estate Consultant · 33033 · Member since 2018 · 65 posts · 23 votes
    7y

    Hi Chad, my first DD encounter was buying nonperforming notes (30+ bought in 2 years).

    You make a great point regarding the property value and the ability to fight the foreclosure. 

    I bought non-performing notes and sold at auction so I've been on both ends of the "coin" so with all confidence i can tell any investor to aim for properties between 100k to 350k (at the most).

    The "sweet spot" for a quick exit strategy is between 150k and 250k these is "mid American " fha approved.

  • Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    This is great. Thank you.

    Follow up question: if a property in Broward County (FL) is foreclosed on by the HOA for say $10,000 and I purchase the property at auction for $15,000. Then I find out there's a mortgage for $100,000 on the property (assuming that I didn't do proper due diligence); who is liable for the mortgage after the sale ends?

  • Real Estate Consultant · 33033 · Member since 2018 · 65 posts · 23 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jonathan Vasquez:

    This is great. Thank you.

    Follow up question: if a property in Broward County (FL) is foreclosed on by the HOA for say $10,000 and I purchase the property at auction for $15,000. Then I find out there's a mortgage for $100,000 on the property (assuming that I didn't do proper due diligence); who is liable for the mortgage after the sale ends?

    This HOA scenario is one of the most common mistakes I see people do every week.

    There is a market and scenarios where buying an HOA lien is profitable but let me answer your question first.

    "Liable" is not the correct term I would use since you did not sign the mortgage but you will not be able to sell the property until you have a clean title.

    If anyone makes this horrible mistake, I recommend you MOVE FAST; with luck, not all is lost.

    First, you need to know the following:

    • Property value.
    • · Debt on the property = All mortgages, other liens, violations, etc attached to the property.
    • Is there any other open foreclosure case attached to the property?

    Second, use the above to plan your exit strategy:

    Sell the property: If the property Value is > debt on the property (enough to cover your investment and hopefully some ROI)

    Rent the property: Debt is > property value (fight the foreclosure and Airbnb it to savage your investment)

    Of course, there are more factors to take in consideration as each case has its own nuances this is just representative, I do not by any means promote the rental of properties under foreclosure and you would have to check with the HOA if it is even allowed.

    Short answer: If you buy an HOA lien most likely the outstanding mortgage will foreclose on the property and you will lose title once the foreclosure process is complete.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.