How do I find out whats owed pre-short sale?

How do I find out whats owed pre-short sale?

Engineer · Wichita, KS · Member since 2012 · 396 posts · 36 votes

I have a motivated seller/realtor that is about ready to go into short sale, is there a way I can find out what the seller owes? Is it public record? The seller is not disclosing that info and the offer from a big rehab company that the bank turned down. I figure if I can find out what’s owed I got a place to start negotiating. This place is gutted and needs major renovations, so I don’t think the bank wants it back.

I’d think this bank would be my best place to negotiate at least construction financing, but the seller is holding that back too. I know the seller can’t disclose too much being a realtor by law. Other thing I learned is the city is criminally prosecuting the seller for not working on the place it’s been on the market a while untouched. Wow!
We are getting rehab bids together to look at cash flow.

0Reply
36 views

Most Popular Reply

Don KonipolBusiness Member
Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
13y

Terry P., I think you are a little confused. A short sale occurs when the loan on the property is greater than the market value. The seller is essentially asking the bank to accept a loan payoff "short" of the amount required to fully pay off the loan.

If the offer on the property is for the amount owed or greater, it would not be a short sale and not entail the need for mortgagee approval. Seller's are not able to sell the property for $80K, payoff a $60K mortgage for $40K and pocket the difference - at least not legally.

Further, I am afraid you do not have a motivated seller, or if you do he does not regard you as a serious buyer. Any motivated seller would be more than willing to give you the information you are requesting. There is NO law requiring a Realtor not to provide information on his own property.

Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y

    In a judicial state, you usually can look up a judgment that the bank has on a defaulted borrower, if the bank has filed suit to foreclose.

    But you just have to figure out what it's worth to you in "as is" condition, and make your offer appropriately. Then the seller can decide if they want to accept your offer. Assuming the seller accepts, then the bank will decide if they like your offer.

    But you need a cooperative seller / borrower in short sales - doesn't sound like this one is sufficiently cooperative.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    13y

    If it's a short sale, it doesn't matter what is owed. You'll need more than one legitimate estimate to rehab the property, and not to an A+++ property. I don't believe there is any criminal prosecution for failure to repair a property. The seller has the right to tell you the balance owed, if he wants. Again, the amount owed is irrelevant. If the seller is serious, he should tell you what offer the bank turned down.

  • Accountant · Woodland Park, CO · Member since 2012 · 40 posts · 10 votes
    13y

    Agree with Brooks. The balance has no bearing on your offer. It is worth what you can show it's worth. Make your case with comps (plus commissions, fix up, etc) and don't worry about what the bank is owed.

    Meet the BPO broker at the property, or beforehand and hand over your proof documents.

    Posted with my BP Reader app

  • Engineer · Wichita, KS · Member since 2012 · 396 posts · 36 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Steve Babiak:
    In a judicial state, you usually can look up a judgment that the bank has on a defaulted borrower, if the bank has filed suit to foreclose.

    But you just have to figure out what it's worth to you in "as is" condition, and make your offer appropriately. Then the seller can decide if they want to accept your offer. Assuming the seller accepts, then the bank will decide if they like your offer.

    But you need a cooperative seller / borrower in short sales - doesn't sound like this one is sufficiently cooperative.

    Thanks Steve I'll check into that at the court house records. This house will sell and show a good profit @ $60K purchase we believe (running the numbers now), but if the bank is only owed $50K, it's been sitting on the market a long time and it's gutted not much interest, and the bank does not want it back, then I can probably get it for $50K if that's all the seller owes. Why pay $10K more? The seller wants $80 of course to make a profit before short sale. We think the only offer the big company made was probably under whats owed, like $40.

  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    13y

    Terry P., I think you are a little confused. A short sale occurs when the loan on the property is greater than the market value. The seller is essentially asking the bank to accept a loan payoff "short" of the amount required to fully pay off the loan.

    If the offer on the property is for the amount owed or greater, it would not be a short sale and not entail the need for mortgagee approval. Seller's are not able to sell the property for $80K, payoff a $60K mortgage for $40K and pocket the difference - at least not legally.

    Further, I am afraid you do not have a motivated seller, or if you do he does not regard you as a serious buyer. Any motivated seller would be more than willing to give you the information you are requesting. There is NO law requiring a Realtor not to provide information on his own property.

    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
  • Engineer · Wichita, KS · Member since 2012 · 396 posts · 36 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Don Konipol:
    Terry P., I think you are a little confused. A short sale occurs when the loan on the property is greater than the market value. The seller is essentially asking the bank to accept a loan payoff "short" of the amount required to fully pay off the loan.

    If the offer on the property is for the amount owed or greater, it would not be a short sale and not entail the need for mortgagee approval. Seller's are not able to sell the property for $80K, payoff a $60K mortgage for $40K and pocket the difference - at least not legally.

    Further, I am afraid you do not have a motivated seller, or if you do he does not regard you as a serious buyer. Any motivated seller would be more than willing to give you the information you are requesting. There is NO law requiring a Realtor not to provide information on his own property.

    I AM confused, thanks for clearing that up :)

  • Engineer · Wichita, KS · Member since 2012 · 396 posts · 36 votes
    13y

    I was able to find the bank and original loan amount & date off the register of deeds website after I called the clerks office and got a legal description. Well at least I know how to do that now. :)

  • Engineer · Wichita, KS · Member since 2012 · 396 posts · 36 votes
    13y

    Question about short sales? Don't you have to be current on payments to qualify for a reduced sales amount to what is owed? Also, I read a blog on BP where it said often times the bank will back out of it right before going to the auction at the court house so investors waste time and money dealing with bank short sales?

  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    13y

    Actually it's the opposite, with most lenders you need to be behind on payments for them to okay a short sale. I know it's hard to believe but it all part of government and government regulated industry: bad behavior is rewarded, good behavior is punished, failure is rewarded, success is punished.

    Many have done well chasing short sales; but many or most short sales do not end up happening. There is a real estate investor in Phoenix who currently has the back up offer on over 1000 short sale properties.

    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Don Konipol:
    ... I know it's hard to believe but it all part of government and government regulated industry: bad behavior is rewarded, good behavior is punished, failure is rewarded, success is punished.
    ...

    Imagine their school-age kids, one who brings home straight A's and gets a pat on the back, the other brings home straight F's and gets handed a C-note ... :)

  • Engineer · Wichita, KS · Member since 2012 · 396 posts · 36 votes
    13y

    Wow Don thanks! Not intuitive to the casual observer. So if a seller says it is in short sale and I know the bank I figured I try and see if I can negotiate with the bank next week but they may not talk to me. Is the seller still considered a party with legal interest during a short sale such that the bank and the seller have to agree on a sales price? So I learned last week the sheriff’s office handles these mortgage auctions, are properties literally auctioned off at the court? How do I watch this property to see or know when it is going to auction and out of short sale status? Do I have an opportunity to buy the property right before the auction, I mean that day at the court house? I assume I have to have cash to bid at the auction?

    Thanks for the education, you can see I am green to all this but eager to learn.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    13y

    To do a short sale, the property will have to be listed for sale, in the MLS, then you submit your offer to the seller. The seller still controls the property up until an auction. The bank won't talk to you, only the person (realtor or other 3rd party) authorized to negotiate on the seller's behalf. There will be a way to track the progress of the foreclosure, and any auction date, through your local court house or trustee. Other than buying the house through a short sale, you can't buy prior to the public auction. The auction will be all cash, either due immediately, or maybe 24 hours, with a deposit. Check your local procedures in advance.

  • Engineer · Wichita, KS · Member since 2012 · 396 posts · 36 votes
    13y

    Got it! Just wanted to say thanks again to all for taking the time to educate me on short sales. :)

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y

    If you are considering buying at the sheriff sales, this next thread is a must read:

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/41/topics/68977-foreclosure-auction-sheriff-sale-and-trustee-sale-faq

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.