Buying a motel, should I convert to multifamily?

Buying a motel, should I convert to multifamily?

Investor · NY · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 3 votes

I am in the process of buying a 25 unit motel. The current owners have been operating for about 40 yrs and have bad record keeping. They say the expenses are 10k and the income is 25k. It is in ideal location for a multifamily conversion and is zoned for multifamily. Just curious if there are any suggestions on keeping it as a motel or multifamily. The price seems pretty good at 900k. Looking for some advice.

0Reply
41 views

Most Popular Reply

Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
4y

@Alix Cassagnol I am not sure how far "in the process of buying" you are, but from the limited info you present, I would say pass on the deal.  Why am I confident in my opinion: per your post you are not even sure what to do with the property.  

Nothing is a good deal if you don't know what you are going to do with it.  I can already think of about 50 questions that I would want an answer for before I would begin the buying process of anything.  I.e.

For a motel: what is your RevPAR and occupancy, what are your staffing needs and payroll associated, marketing budgets, renovation budget with any ADA upgrades needed, reserves, internet booking service.  Is a motel even a legal use, since in typical zoning that is a lower class than MF.

For apartment conversion: conversion budget, ada upgrades needed, fire suppression and emergency exit requirements, occupancy, management.  What are comps valued at, market rents, occupancy, financing, etc.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Boulder, CO · Member since 2018 · 530 posts · 365 votes
    4y

    @Alix Cassagnol have you run the numbers on each scenario to see how they compare?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 20 posts · 13 votes
    4y

    Alix,

    You haven’t mentioned any background in this area but if you don’t have any experience with motels or multifamily I’d be very hesitant buying an older asset and getting into this category. Your renovation costs will be considerable and if you haven’t done a market study re: feasibility, I’d hold off. 

  • Joshua JanusBusiness Member
    Realtor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Do you know anyone that is experienced in multi family or large conversions? You could partner with them and walk into this scenario with a lot more experience and preparation. 

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    @Alix Cassagnol I am not sure how far "in the process of buying" you are, but from the limited info you present, I would say pass on the deal.  Why am I confident in my opinion: per your post you are not even sure what to do with the property.  

    Nothing is a good deal if you don't know what you are going to do with it.  I can already think of about 50 questions that I would want an answer for before I would begin the buying process of anything.  I.e.

    For a motel: what is your RevPAR and occupancy, what are your staffing needs and payroll associated, marketing budgets, renovation budget with any ADA upgrades needed, reserves, internet booking service.  Is a motel even a legal use, since in typical zoning that is a lower class than MF.

    For apartment conversion: conversion budget, ada upgrades needed, fire suppression and emergency exit requirements, occupancy, management.  What are comps valued at, market rents, occupancy, financing, etc.

  • Jonathan GreeneBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y

    I agree with what others have said - there may be a deal in here, but it doesn't sound like you are ready to take this on. Their numbers are likely not close and if you have done proper underwriting on what should be included they are probably missing everything. How much of a deal is this? To convert from motel to multi isn't only based on zoning, there are other differentiators with the town and compliance that you may not be aware of. How much do you think it will cost to renovate each unit? Times that by 25 to start. If they are old owners, the mechanical are probably in bad shape and you are potentially operating with septic or multiple cess pools, as well as potential underground oil tanks, which all could be a long-term disaster. Did you do inspections already and have it under contract?

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    @Alix Cassagnol converting to multifamily for 25 units you would likely have some ADA and fire department regulations (alarms upgrades, sprinklers) to comply with that an older unit might not meet.  Make sure you work those into your conversion estimates.  They would likely kick in at 5 units and above. 

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    4y

    @Alix Cassagnol converting to multifamily will usually reduce income. The big challenge is splitting utilities, so you are not stuck with the same expenses and lower income. You may not be able to split them at all. Have you considered short term or medium term rental (1-3 months)? This is similar to motel, but you can use booking platforms and get rid of daily cleaning.

  • Jon KellyPro Member
    Investor · Bethlehem, PA · Member since 2016 · 929 posts · 951 votes
    4y

    @Alix Cassagnol you targeted a motel for a reason. Did you originally plan to stay with a motel or convert to multi-family? 

    If you truly didn't know what you wanted to do then why pursue motels to begin with? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    Not knowing the area it's in, but we have one locally that he inherited that he now uses as a 1/2-way housing. He has about 20 units & told me he pulls in $825/month/unit & most of it is subsidized. They remain on their best behavior to avoid compromising their conditional release/probation conditions. The units are probably not much bigger than the cells they recently shared & maintenance does not appear to be his strong suit. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Yuma, AZ · Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 20 votes
    4y

    I would love to get some photos of the property if you have them available. My motto is the more you are willing to risk, the greater the reward and although it sounds like you may not know what to do right now, perhaps you just need some ideas.  So here is one:  a motel that could be converted into an experience motel/hotel with a restaurant.  One thing that is needed in my community is an experience motel with a great design with a fantastic brunch restaurant attached. I am thinking something girly but also something that guys would like to come and get drinks at.  The possibilities are endless with a motel.  Perhaps even check with the city and see about zoning half of the building into residential for long term tenants and the lower floor for commercial like barbers, or boutique shops.  I'm looking forward to hearing about the problems you will solve, and the opportunities you will bring.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ithaca, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Alix Cassagnol

    I agree with Joe. To add to his response, if the property is located in NY you have to deal with the stricter tenant laws. If you decide to do extended stays you'll have more leeway and control of your property. The property already has everything set up, you won't have to put in as much cash as a multi family conversion. I run Airbnbs in Upstate NY and I make a decent ROI.

  • Tim DelaneyPro Member
    Buffalo, NY · Member since 2018 · 790 posts · 530 votes
    4y

    @Alix Cassagnol is that income and expenses monthly or annual? Owners that do not keep good records should not expect to be paid full price for their business since you cannot verify what they are giving you. Banks will also hesitate to loan without proven track record.

  • Xavier MarinPro Member
    Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 16 posts · 7 votes
    4y

    Hello Alix, 

    Where is this motel located? Are there any major attractions in the area that would make it appealing to keep as a motel? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.