Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Multi-Family and Apartment Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jack B.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
Need help interpreting financial information for multi family

Jack B.
  • Seattle, WA
Posted May 10 2022, 18:27

This is what I see on listings on Redfin, apartment complex for just under 5 million

Net operating income, is that after expenses but before debt service? I used to know this stuff but forgot as I stopped looking at MF long ago.

Gross adjusted income? Adjusted by what?

What rent multiplier is a good rent multiplier?

The insurance expense must be monthly not annual, I pay 1/3 of that for a half million dollar house, let alone for a 5 million dollar apartment complex...

Multi-Family Financial Information

• Insurance Expense: $2,967
  • Other Expense: $57,403
  • Net Operating Income: $262,468
  • Gross Adjusted Income: 377602
  • Gross Scheduled Income: $397,476
  • Total Monthly Income: 33123
  • Gross Rent Multiplier: 12
  • Total Expenses: 115134

User Stats

Votes
Bjorn Ahlblad
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Investor
  • Shelton, WA
Replied May 10 2022, 19:13

My experience is numbers in a listing are generally wrong or manipulated to look favorable. NOI is after expenses and before debt service. Gross adjusted income is pretending all units are rented. Gross rent multiplier measures how many years it would take for the property to pay for itself with gross rents. The lower number of years the better. Jack, like many/most MF properties in our area my feeling is that property is overpriced and with proper numbers it will get worse.

Financing is onerous someone will need net worth equal to loan amount. 25% down and 5.5% interest. You will need a signed up PM. You will need reserves of 12 mos on deposit. All the best!

User Stats

Votes
Bryan Vukelich
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Kaneohe, HI
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Kaneohe, HI
Replied May 10 2022, 19:44

@Jack B. 

I agree with Bjorn.  Recommend you ask the listing agent for the actual last year and YTD income statement as well as rent roll.  For a building that size, all that info should be easily accessible and they should be able to provide you printed docs quickly.  If you go under contract to purchase the property, I also advise reviewing the property's tax returns. 

Wish you well - happy to answer any other questions you have.  

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jack B.
  • Seattle, WA
Votes |
  • Seattle, WA
Replied May 23 2022, 15:55

Thank you gentlemen!

User Stats

Votes
Greg Kasmer
  • Philadelphia
Votes |
  • Philadelphia
Replied May 24 2022, 04:28

Jack - I think Bjorn and Bryan had some great comments. The other item that I'm noticing in multi-family is that in addition to manipulating the NOI, some sellers are also using cap rates that are not aligned with the market. Or, if they have a fairly accurate NOI, they become very "flexible" with the cap rate in order to get to a value that they want to target. I would do your research on cap rates within your target area and have some good data points for your analysis. Good Luck!

User Stats

Votes
Miguel Diaz
  • New to Real Estate
  • Orlando FL
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Orlando FL
Replied May 24 2022, 06:25

Hey Jack, I am newbie in REI but I have some knowledge, in order to get your knowledge back on track, I recommend you to buy The Encyclopedia of Commercial Real Estate Advice book< I believe taht is a good source of knowledge as well the people that you can network with the experience for your case!! I hope I can contribute with you somehow with this!!